Ae92 Wheel And Tyre Fitment.

Nic93

Hello,

I recently bought a set of Axis OG Sans, off JDMYard, theyre 15/ 8" rims, pretty crazy as i have a corolla AE92 to throw them on...

So my dilemma came the other day when it came to put tyres on. I originally opted for bridgestone RE002's, sizing of the tyre was a bit hard considering the car and rim size. So finally set on 195/50/15's as i had test fitted a Falken in the same size, which worked. So the day came to put the tyres on, i come in saturday morning to put them on the car, and the tyre company told me the sidewalls were too stiff to fit over the offset =/ so my real question is, can i please get some help with tyre brand, size and possibly better solutions to this.

Photo of the rim with the Falkens on.

post-18483-0-55973200-1368354001_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Honestly i have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to this, hence my queries here....

his explanation was : The sidewall stiffness of the RE002's was too much to get over the rim, he said if the offset was 7" it would have worked. I asked if a higher profile would help and he said yes but it wont fit under the strut, which still doesnt make sense as the 15" is still the same..... eh i don't know bud, I'm just confused with this whole situation

Ah ok I get it, the tyre is too narrow to fit on the wheel, it would need to be stretched and he doesnt think that it will stretch enough to seat on the wheel properly. And a higher profile tyre will sit higher and possibly foul on the strut spring perch I think hes saying.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Why can't the tyre company you were going to buy the tyre's from help you with choice ?

Tyre guy doesn't seem to have lead you astray at this point. He's probably right about the 205/50R15's not working, though depends on your wheel offset a bit. I've got 15" rims on my corolla from a later model (AE101 or something later) 5mm difference in offset and that 5mm change causes some big issues (same rim width as standard though). I'm running 195/50R15's and they rub on the strut with a bit of sideways flex, so you really can't go any wider. Any bigger in diameter (larger profile) and you'll foul with the spring platform. If your rims are that much wider than standard, you'll probably also want to check the guard lip clearance. I've rolled mine and now run 15mm (or 20mm) spacers, and they still fit, but don't think there's a lot of room in there.

At the end of the day, some prefer Dunlop's over Yokies and some people prefer Yokies over Dunlop's, so there's not a lot of point asking for individual opinions.The Tyre guy should be able to help you with your driving style and budget.

92's are always a bastard to choose tyre's for on the rear, just the way they are.

Thanks for your opinion,

yes he seems like a straight forward guy, hes helped me quite a bit so far, i just wanted a second opinion from people who have been in the same boat as me. He's suggested Falken ZE912's, i read up on them and concluded that they are a family car tyre, which is probably enough for my needs, but I plan to do more to the engine in my corolla and want the tyres on there to be able to handle it. He then suggested Federals, can't remember the model, but my friend had them on his supra and said they were pretty good.

Thought I'd add my 2c

What I think his trying to say is that the wheels are 'too' wide to fit a 195/50 sized tyre on as it will stretch a tad as they're best suited to wheels up to 7 inches wide. However, any Good tyre shop should have zero issues fitting a 195/50 over an 8 inch wheel as it's not that much of a stretch really. I've fit the exact same wheels to the exact same car; here's a photo

ff8qae.jpg

The tyres are 195/50/R15's and there should be no problems fitting RE002's on them. They ZE912's are sh.it tyres, I've used it before on another car - for day to day stuff they're fine. The Federals would either be 595SS (Super Steele's) which is good for street and not much else. Or it'll be the 595 RS-R's; will be about on par with RE002's and good for stret and track. Yes, I've used federals before.

Anyway, to fit the Axis OG wheels, you're going to need roll the gaurds (look up Phil B Enterprises - he can roll gaurds and he can come to you). Once you have them rolled, you're more than likely going to need to lower it at least and run some camber bolts. Pedders can supply you them for around $100 for a pair of front or rears (you'll need both sets) and running -2.5 degree camber all 'round. For reference, my Corolla above was lowered 50mm at the front and 40mm at the rear to get the tyres to tuck. Good luck

• Upvote 2

I have those federal 595-RSR on my wrx, i find them great, and for the price they are hard to beat.

Tyre companies will specify for each of their tyres and tyre sizes the minimum and maximum accepted width, as well as a recomended width. so check these on each tyres website and if you are within the limits, then you're all good in terms of fitting the tyre to the wheel.

As for then fitting the tyre and wheel onto the car, well thats another story.

How much did you pay for yours? i got the SuperSteeles, he said the RSR's probably wouldnt go on the rim, same issue as the RE002's. In the end though the 595's are really good, i do believe i got ripped off a bit, he charged me the same price as the RE002's for the superSteeles... but i just wanted to get it over and done with. 180/tyre is what i paid for 195/50/15 Federal 595's

Ive only bought them at option 1 garage in Brisbane,

for 195/50R15 it was around $140 fitted about 3yrs ago. (under $300 a pair)

for 205/50R16 it was around $155 fitted about 9 months ago. (just over $600 a set)

$180 is a bit of a ripoff i think.

perhaps email option 1 garage to get a more up to date price.

http://www.option1garage.com.au/NewTyres.htm

He probably, just took advantage of the fact that he had my rims at the time, and i was still unsure of my tyre choice, he ordered them in without my consent as well, based on a bit of phone banter on what tyre to go with. Not to mention he ordered the RE002's and they didnt fit haha, his own mistake i shouldnt have to pay for imo. but ohwell, this was Ian Diffen bunbury btw, for anyone who may be familiar.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

Having imported a set of 15" 8J DTM for our AE92 GTI .Had a couple of people refuse to fit tyres for my saying that because of

1 Clearance issues between rim and strut (rear)

2 Rim protrusion

3 I wanted 195's and they wanted to sell me 205's which would have rubbed on the rear shock .As 195 would not fit on an 8J

Went to our local Ian Diffen ,had them fit a set of Marshalls 195/55's with a slight side wall stretch onto the rims .PRESTO .Can fit a 6mm drill bit between rear shock and tire. Only problem i have is that the tires touch the fenders when cornering

Was looking at either rolling the fenders or geting JDM STYLE fender flares.Problem being its a four door hatchpost-10372-0-04666900-1371731789_thumb.jpgpost-10372-0-34701600-1371731816_thumb.jpg