Ae92 Sx Seca Corolla Coilover Kit?

On320V

Hey guys I'm after I coilover kit for my SX Seca! I have looked at a lot of websites and made the same amount of phone calls to try and find a coilover kit that fits my car. Hardly anything seems to be on the market. Am I able to cross reference? Please help?

Members dont see this ad

persumably when you say coilvoer kit, you are refering to a few parts that you can modify a standard shock tube into a adjustable height coilvoer type arrangement.

Essentially all a coilover kit is, is a bit of threaded pipe, a spring, a threaded spring seat, a locking nut for the spring seat, a spring top with a cone looking fitting for the shock shaft to poke through, which you then attach to a camber plate or oem top hat. And then it requires welding and cutting to fit it to your shock tube.

So all you really need for any coilvoer kit to work, is the threaded bit of pipe fits nice and snugly over the oem toyota shock tube.

Given that i had ae92 shocks in my old ae86 shock tubes, then id take a pretty good guess that an ae86 kit will do you fine. But just check the OD of the ae92 shock tube and ask a supplier to confirm their kit suits that OD.

Given that i had ae92 shocks in my old ae86 shock tubes, then id take a pretty good guess that an ae86 kit will do you fine. But just check the OD of the ae92 shock tube and ask a supplier to confirm their kit suits that OD.

Your AE92 would be one of the rare ones then. There was a very brief period of time when they came with a decent sized tube that carried an insert. The much more common scenario is they're a small tube that uses the tube as the outside of the shock and the top of the strut will be crimped over to hold it all together. Unserviceable unit, once the shock dies, buy another complete strut leg from Monroe or some such.

I visited quite a few wreckers in Perth and hunted around online looking for a pair of these mythical strut legs. In the end I adapted a set of struts from a Celica to fit (not as simple as it first appeared either, check my Khanacross build thread).

If you have one of the crimped struts, even if you could find a sleeve to suit the OD of the tube, you'd be a brave man to try and weld them to a thin walled tube full of hydraulic oil and nitrogen gas under pressure.

• Upvote 1