Spare Keys For Ke70

Hi all!

I'm looking for a set of spare keys for my ´82 KE70 only cannot find one..

My KE use 2 different type of keys :The doors and ignition use the small key with black top.. as the left one on the picture. The fully metal one only fits the boot and fueldoor. I got the fully metal one from the local Toyota dealer here but the small one with black top seems to be unknown.and/or is discontinued.

I searched all the net, eBay etc...but all keys that i find are the bigger metal ones.

Someone knows where to buy the small one? If possible a genuine TOYOTA...Thanks!

post-16423-0-55393600-1368863986_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Track down another set of door/ignition locks that match the same key profile as the brass key. Then go to an automotive locksmith with the key/barrels and get them to rekey them for you. You're better off keeping that brass key over the plastic head because it's a far more common profile and thus easier to find.

Thanks for all answers!

You can buy "Toyota Motor" replica keys from ebay for $10 a key.

The master key operates all locks and the sub key operates boot lock and fuel door.

My KE do not have a master key and a sub key. The key for door/ignition does not fit boot or fueldoor.

I already got a key from eBay but cannot be used for the ignition/door because the shape is not OK.

I've got a couple of KE70s and out of about four keys, they're all the same and all fit the doors, boot, ignition etc. Never seen the black one. Sure it's necessary?

Yes. Without that black-head key i cannot open a door.

Track down another set of door/ignition locks that match the same key profile as the brass key. Then go to an automotive locksmith with the key/barrels and get them to rekey them for you. You're better off keeping that brass key over the plastic head because it's a far more common profile and thus easier to find.

That would be a solution. Only almost all KE70 lock parts are discontinued at the Toyota here. Exept for a blank key.. Even a oil filter have to be specially ordered.

Maybe best is to try to find a complete used set of barrels with key. Have to look overseas for that because here in Holland you don't find KE70 at a wreckers place anymore.

Your cars are all left hand drive, are they? If so, you might run into troubles trying to fit a RHD ignition barrel into LHD because of the position and direction they turn, even if you pull the guts out and transplant them. I've never pulled the ignition barrel apart so can't be too sure, but I know that you can get both door locks from either LHD or RHD countries and they'll fit.

Try America for the ignition maybe.

Sound very logic..

But i have seen some pictures of RHD KE70s and the ignition barrel is always located on the right side of the steering wheel.. and i think the key will turn clockwise.

That is same as in my LHD : on right side of the steering wheel and to start is turnig key clockwise.

Anyway a very good tip to find it out exactly just to be sure of it.

Already found this new set on Australian eBay :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-81-84-KE70-71-AE70-71-IGNITION-BARREL-DOORS-LOCKS-BOOT-LOCK-/290755704428

Been there, done that. Both KE70-style keys from locksmith and from eBay i already got.. and do not fit my door and ignition because shape is totally wrong. Locksmith said he can grind them but they will only fit my boot/fueldoor.

I am after new locks for my doors and ignition now and like to have genuine ones.

I don't know if the aftermarket KE70 sets that are on eBay (see link few messages above) are of reasonable quality. I'm afaid it will be buy-and-pray..

Edited by Dutchrolla

Like I said, get a hold of someone over here and grab the barrels from their doors/ignition and they'll be the same profile as those Ebay ones that fit your boot/fuel door.

Once you get them, take your brass key and the new locks to your lockie and he'll key them up for you.