Switching Extension Housings On K Gearboxes

Yo

I want to run an original k40 box with the long gear lever in my wagon. Not a fan of the k55 box position. I've got a box lined up as a donor.

But I'm thinking of trying to swap the k40 extension onto the back of my k50. Looks like it could work, anyone ver swapped them around? I'm guessing the shift rod might give me grief and I'll need to pull the box open.

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

There are 2 different versions of the 4 speed though...later ones had the shifter further back with a shorter stick than the original...and those tails will interchange I'm pretty sure...Don't know how the wagon is set up but there's about maybe 10 inches or so difference in the shifter positions, I'd have to go look and this is my lazy time.......(I've been through 5 of em and can't always find the same thing so I have dual holes and just change the carpet and move the cover)...My first tranny broke in half when I lost a U-joint so I couldn't use any of it, (That was fun and nearly broke my hand when the stick jumped, bent the shaft, shattered the casings)......... the others were all later and I just found an original that I have in there now...clutch splines are different in the later model too so you have to use a different disc....good luck