Krems Ke20

kremske20

ok, been slow in the shed, too bloody hot and finally have some work but that will only last another few weeks (building industry is stuffed down here!!) so will be able to get back into it full tilt,

got the 1/4 panels all sorted and finally got the roof and 1/4 panels into epoxy to seal them up

also got a small rust section fixed around the back window and some pics of my home made folder and guillotine, lol, heres some pics,

heres the pass side 1/4 panel, a few small holes soon turned into bigger 1s when I hit it with the die grinder, wont bore with heaps of pics, just before and after of 1 side, the drivers side was pretty much the same!!

DSCF4171_zps4f0aac7c.jpg

all welded up and ground back

DSCF4172_zps33ed76e2.jpg

this is the section of rust around the rear screen I attacked

DSCF4080_zps7f78cea0.jpg

luckily it was 2 pieces, made it easier to fabricate, cut out the pinch where the rubber grips onto

DSCF4181_zps16eff856.jpg

the new piece

DSCF4180_zps80efb128.jpg

heres my nice guillotine, lol, 2 bits of angle and a brickies bolster and hammer, works a treat, also used the angle to fold the panel

DSCF4175_zps3aea70d0.jpg

heres my ebay shrinker / stretcher, works ok, needed a few mods as they are pretty cheaply made,

DSCF4178_zps28444711.jpg

heres the pinch piece in place

DSCF4180_zps80efb128.jpg

krem

Members dont see this ad

heres the main section being trial fitted, I used the same methods to cut and fold this as I did the 1st piece

DSCF4182_zps0e1aa99e.jpg

and all welded in, still needs a little plenishing but other wise came out well

DSCF4185_zps62a547fe.jpg

finally some epoxy to seal it up, the only filler used so far in the whole car has been in the lower parts of the 1/4 panels where the rust was and passenger side wheel arch, was easier to skim some on now so I could see if I had the flow and shape right, the rest of the panels came out nice and straight with no filler so far, will be even smoother with a skim of filler!!

DSCF4187_zps9601ea94.jpg

DSCF4189_zps4b36b4d2.jpg

drivers side, was a mess before as shown in previous post

DSCF4191_zps7bd516ad.jpg

DSCF4192_zpsca4b2824.jpg

now I need to finish the rust around the front and rear screens and epoxy the rest of the car (beaver panel, door jams and sills,) and the bog work begins, oh the reason the car is in 2 different colors, I ran out of the green epoxy,

krem

• Upvote 1

thanks people, I just want to say that I'm not in the bodywork trade, I'm actually a T/A plasterer but have a trade in window tinting, the work I have done to this car has been learned by reading lots of books, watching dvd's, searchin on the net and asking heaps and heaps of questions, oh, and getting in and having a try and learning from my mistakes, it just goes to show that any1 can do this kind of work if their heart is in it and they really want to accomplish something, just pays to look at heaps of different ideas and options as there are some hacks out there, some of them even famous, and if you want a good job you need to suss out your options, not just use 1 persons view.

I have been blessed with a very understanding and beautiful partner who understands that for certain jobs you need certain tools, and that her father used to run panel shop and we inherited his tools when he sadly passed away a few yrs ago so that helped out a lot, as there are a lot of tools needed to do this kind of work, that's why its so expensive to get a paint job done, but with some ingenuity you can get by on the cheap.

so any1 who is taking interest in this build thread and wanting to do the same, just take the time to research and look at what your doing and just take your time, if people are interested I will get together my collection of dvd's, books and websites and list them for others to learn, the satisfaction and confidence you get in doing your own work is priceless!!

thanks again for reading, will post more updates when I get some more time in the shed

krem

yeah no worries, might have to wait a little tho, I have the ke20 to finish, rx4 engine bay and the a full resto on a hr ute which is covered in around 5-10mm of bog that's all cracking out, so this yr is nearly stuffed, oh, and a couple of the mrs bikes to paint she is restoring and still a s2 rx7 that's still sitting in the driveway!!

but I'm sure I can fit it in sometime, lol

krem

Impressive work! I wish I had the confidence to give this sort of thing a shot on one of my cars.

I'm getting a crash course in panel beating in a few weeks when I get a couple dents taken out of my torana, but it's looking like the expense of all the tools needed is going to be my biggest problem :P

Keep up the quality work! I'll be watching this thread. :)

Impressive work! I wish I had the confidence to give this sort of thing a shot on one of my cars.

I'm getting a crash course in panel beating in a few weeks when I get a couple dents taken out of my torana, but it's looking like the expense of all the tools needed is going to be my biggest problem :P

Keep up the quality work! I'll be watching this thread. :)

you can get cheap hammers and dollies from supercheap mate, they will do the job, or check ebay, just be cautios tho, good tools weigh a bit and the postage will add up.

krem

• 2 months later...

hi all, ive been a bit slack working on the ke20 lately, and more slack keeping updates, so here goes, all the body except for the front guards and stonetray are in primer, here are some pics, wont put up too many but you will get the general idea where the car is at

here is the passenger rear 1/4, there were a ton of tiny ripples and dents in both the 1/4 panels, and just fillin them separately would have been a headach, I could have just put on 5 or 6 coats of high fill primer and blocked them out, but that would lead to paint probs later on, I wanted something that willlook good for a long time to come

DSCF4211_zpse33c4cee.jpg

masking up the body line and using diff colored hardners in my filler allowed an easy way of getting the swage line nice and straight, guide coat helped too

DSCF4215_zps9630c96d.jpg

nice and straight, did this for both sides

DSCF4219_zps0c13f075.jpg

the wheel arches were a pain, I spent around 6hrs for both the rears, not looking forward to the fronts!!

little bit of work to the boot lid

DSCF4224_zpsf32f5c39.jpg

DSCF4225_zps5ec2cac8.jpg

the bonnet was pretty good, only a few small dints and the line up the centre needed a bit of attention

DSCF4235_zps8009d66f.jpg

I put on a over reduced coat of epoxy to seal up the bare metal and bodyfiller to stop moisture from seeping into it and casuing problems, here are some more in blocking primer, I didn't get any pics of the doors prior to primer, camera went flat, but they did get a skim coat of filler too, all the panels except the roof were filled with ripples and small dints that it was just easier to skim the whole panel in filler, at the thickest point the filler would be around 1/4-1/2mm thick

epoxy primer

DSCF4231_zps6513dcf3.jpg

DSCF4230_zpse57c4fcb.jpg

2k blocking primer

DSCF4232_zps222643eb.jpg

DSCF4233_zps57f4178c.jpg

DSCF4234_zps9f4cd509.jpg

DSCF4237_zps29be2fce.jpg

DSCF4239_zps03efbc61.jpg

DSCF4238_zps169e5d3a.jpg

I'm hoping to have the front guards and stonetray in primer soon, will keep some more updates coming

krem