Krems Ke20

kremske20

hey ppls, we have recently purchased a 71 ke20, ive never had a corolla before, a few ra28's have been my only Toyota's, but this 1 came up for sale at a "reasonable" price and I couldn't help myself.

as you can see from the pics, the engine bay and interior are pretty neat, the passenger seat will be restitched, but I think the cracks in the dash will be staying as can't afford a new 1, carpet in the front is a littlee worn but some new mats will fix that problem, maybe a new front carpet kit might be on the list depending on the cost, I want the car as neat and original as possible, even the original radio works a treat!!

my plans are to respray it, new front shocks, taillights and front indicators, a few new door rubbers, need 2 original seatbelts for the rear, and a basic service and tune, roadworthy and then resell it to some 1 who will appreciate more than me (I'm a rotor fan and am doing this car to help fund my mazda 1200 coupe project)

the body is in pretty bad shape as you can see from the pics, but it will be bare metalled, slapped straight, skim coat of filler and primed and painted, all in quality lesonal 2pak materials,

I know bugger all about these cars except for the fact they look cool and cute, so I might be asking some pretty dumb questions along the way but pls be vigilant, I am knowledgable in some areas, but spelling aint 1 of them!!

here are some pics, hope you enjoy

DSCF3577_zps1811dc6e.jpg

DSCF3579_zpsa32294af.jpg

DSCF3580_zpsaa7d398f.jpg

DSCF3588_zps6a3898de.jpg

DSCF3585_zpse422eb23.jpg

DSCF3575_zps8dc76d4a.jpg

DSCF3589_zps52f8c9d4.jpg

DSCF3594_zpsef8c49fc.jpg

DSCF3601_zpsae3d5db5.jpg

DSCF3599_zpsa0e38d6b.jpg

DSCF3597_zps1ec67e89.jpg

DSCF3604_zpsb4474412.jpg

DSCF3605_zps57819129.jpg

now the car wont be started on for a while,maybe around 6weeks, I'm just gathering parts at the mo and we have a s2 rx7 in the shed , that needs painting and put back to water tight before I can get this in the shed, ive spent over 200 hrs on the 7 so far and I'm not leaving it out in the weather till its all done (except the engine bay as we can't afford the to rebuild it as yet)

will keep updating as parts arrive and as progress gets going

thanks for viewing

krem

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Members dont see this ad

ok, so ive started to strip the ke20, I have the guards and stonetray back to metal and the bonnet buzzed back and the small dents fixed, bonnet wont be back to metal as it was pretty good apart from a few tiny dints and stone chips, the guards hoewever were a diff story, they both had bog in the front of them, 1 side had it around 5-8mm thick!! it only took around 2 hrs to get it pretty good, not file finished but the thickest of the new filler will be less that 1mm thick

anyways, I'm getting the welder out this week to fix the rust in the guards and wanna know if the plastic clips that hold the stainless trim on along the bottom of the car are still available?? if they are where can I get them, if not I will weld up the holes while I have the welder out.

will put up some progress pics during the week

krem

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here are some pics of what ive been doin to the ke over the last 2 weeks when I get a chance to get into the shed, I have so far got the front end into epoxy to seal up the bare metal, got the rust in bottoms of guards cut out and new metal welded in, not file finished but reasonably happy, little bit more planishing to do, same with the panel beating, got the dents all roughed out, didn't take long, don't know why people just bogged them up, especially the drivers side, would have taken longer to bog it than I did roughin out the dents, got a few more hrs left planishing them out before a skim coat of bog, I could bog them as they are now but wanna get them as good as I can, just gotta be careful as the panels are made from very thin metal, don't wanna stretch it out to much

anyways, here are the pics.

drivers guard showing some of the bog

DSCF3904_zps2bff717a.jpg

a few hrs later

DSCF3907_zps2a681fbd.jpg

rust in bottom of passenger guard

DSCF3905_zps239a9989.jpg

patch panel

DSCF3918_zpsd0be6608.jpg

welded up, used my dc tig, I try not to use filler rod, just where I burn thru, it makes it hard to planish the panel nice, but its hard to planish here as its hard to get in behind the repair

DSCF3919_zpsfabfd45d.jpg

weld ground back, still needs some work but better than boggin up over rust

DSCF3921_zpsa39b23d9.jpg

drivers guard was the same

DSCF3922_zpsdfdc366b.jpg

DSCF3924_zps2c974518.jpg

DSCF3926_zps3cfcefe0.jpg

here is the bonnet, was pretty good apart from a few small dents along the font and some deep stonechips whick I feathered back, the dents will just get a skim of filler as its all double skinned and they are very minute, a thick coat of primer filler would have done the job but I'm not keen on relying on it to fill stuff out, dents would have been less than 1/4 mm deep and were only visible if I got right down and really looked when the panel was wet, even tho I'm only selling the car when I'm finished, I'm still gonna be fussy with my work, wanna get a good name for myself!!

DSCF3915_zpsa4be07a6.jpg

DSCF3914_zps4a022981.jpg

some of the guard lips were a bit ordinary and a few taps with hammer and dollie tidied them up nicely

DSCF3911_zps885a6959.jpg

DSCF3912_zps7620dc39.jpg

DSCF3910_zps17da2e1b.jpg

DSCF3913_zps85c90412.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the panels in epoxy yet, will get some over next few days, just been busy with other things, plan is to try and get it all in epoxy by the end of the month, will keep updates coming

krem

Edited by kremske20
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so ive been doin a little on the doors, they were pretty bad, I had a guy from a local panel shop come give me a guesstamation on a respray before I started and he said to allow atleast $6k and I needed to buy 2 better doors as these were pretty bad, fixable but better to find better items, so far I have spent around 3hrs on the drivers door and maybe 4 on the passenger door, drivers door came up real nice, not file finished but pretty good none the less, will only get a very fine skim coat of filler and will be sweet, the passenger door needs another few hrs spent on it to get it real nice.

now I'm pondering the idea of fender mirrors, jus wanna know what other people think??

if I go with fender mirrors I will to weld up the holes in the doors before I spray epoxy on them, how hard arefender mirrors to find and also to install??

I still haven had any luck finding the clipsfor the stainless strips along the bottom, any1 help me out with these??

will have some more pics up real soon

krem

I'm not a huge fan of the fender mirrors. It all depends on what style mirrors they are and if they blend into the overall shap of the car. As some fender mirrors just look hideous and makes the car look ten times more unattractive.

Oh and PM me if you need Ke20 parts, as I should be able to help you out.

I'm in Launnie.

Cheers, Mark. ;) ;)

yeah will do mark, I have a growing list of things I need, money being the 1st thing, lol, can ya help me out with that?? lol

hopefully I will get a chance this week to get back out into the shed and get the doors finished so I can seal them and the bootlid up into epoxy and get some more pics up

if your ever in Devonport just sing out, be good to meet some people ! my number is 0400821458

krem

I just went to the local sheetmetal place and got some panel steel, I got 2 sheets, 1 x 1.2mm and 1 x 0.9mm, they weren't cheap tho, about $90 each think, but I'm sure if you ask them for some offcuts they would sell you some, I got a milk crate full for welding practice for $5, was just a pile behind their quillotine, nice straight edges, great for practise!!

I think early Toyota stuff is 0.7mm thick but by the time I ground off the rust scale there wouldn't be much in it!!

for a great dvd to learn metal fabrication goto www.metalshapingzone.com and order the dvd, it goes for 2.5hrs, and is the best investment you will make this yr, he shows you howto make simple and complex shapes from simple hand tools, he can make whole cars from scratch , I have watched over 20 times!!

krem

• 3 weeks later...

ok, been a while since I last updated, I have now got the doors and bootlid panel beated and into epoxy primer, I haven't got pics of the epoxy yet but have some of the drivers door, it was pretty bad but I now have it really good, not file finished (these panels are too thin for that!!) but will need less than half a mm in filler to get it good enough to paint, I had to put some sound deadening mat in the doors and bootlid so I could successfully sand the paint off tem with out wrecking the panel, they vibrated like hell, now they sound like a "thud" when you tap on the panel, not like a "ting", and they don't flex like a b***h either!!

here is the top of the drivers door, panel beaters said I needed a new 1!!

DSCF3993_zps05c7d3ad.jpg

this is after around 20mins with dollie and a flipper file

DSCF3997_zpsc633ff7e.jpg

it got hard to tell what was what after a while so I inked it up with a thick artline pen and blocked it out again, looked pretty good, a few high spots which I managed to get down with the shrinking disc

DSCF4009_zpsd090ff9a.jpg

this is a section along the swage line on the bottom section of the door (I think, lol, was ages ago when I took these pics!!), before

DSCF4021_zpsf3cc6635.jpg

after flipper and dollie work

DSCF4027_zps86c81477.jpg

I haven't managed any more pics yet, batteries keep going falt when I goto upload them, will have some more this week

I started on the drivers 1/4 panel tonight, scraped heapds of shit off the inside, took bloody ages but atleast the dollies work now it contacting the metal, got te rear part pretty good, now just gotta strip the interior out so I can get into the front part of the 1/4 panel!!

krem

ok, as promised, more pics of the door and other progress I have made,

DSCF4060_zpsd3a84069.jpg

DSCF4057_zps2dab3e7f.jpg

the small crease you can see in the 1st pic will be pulled out, couldn't get access to the rear of it and the stud welder I borrowed shat itself, I had mess everywhere so I didn't get the welder out, it will be done before the bog work,

here the door is in epoxy, far cry from the before I started, it has no bog in it at all yet!!

DSCF4095_zps66f43428.jpg

here is the passenger side door after panel beating

DSCF4058_zps4ed78e60.jpg

DSCF4028_zpse6ac2aa5.jpg

and the drivers side guard part way thru and about finished, just gotta tidy up the return where the garnish and bumper sit

DSCF4032_zps91a8e3aa.jpg

DSCF4033_zps0c681cc2.jpg

this is the drivers side 1/4 panel, guide coated it and blocked it to see how bad it was, and so its easier to show on camera

DSCF4063_zpse1130ff2.jpg

bit of beating

DSCF4065_zps4e6ff474.jpg

all finished except for some tiny rust holes down low, will get them when I tackle the rest of the rust!!

DSCF4096_zpsc8bbd2ec.jpg

the mrs kindly made some room for me under the house so I could store the parts from the car so I stripped it out and found some rust around the rear screen

DSCF4077_zps5a241842.jpg

DSCF4079_zpsd06320b9.jpg

DSCF4080_zps7f78cea0.jpg

this is the only bit in the front under windscreen

DSCF4081_zpscbebf050.jpg

I have started on the passenger side 1/4 but will leave that for another post, it was the worst and needed heaps of work, when that is done its just fixing the rust and all the panel beating is all done, then time for the bodywork which shouldntake long as the panelbeating has come up pretty good, hope you guys enjoy!!

krem

thanks champ, got the passenger side 1/4 panel mostly straightened out tonight, just a little bit of work arounf the wheel arch, pretty hard when its dbl skinned to get it nice, it was all pushed in around 20-30mm like it had been slid along something, was a b***h to get out and still couldn't get it as good as I have the rest of the car but I just can't get to some of the damage till I get the welder out to fix the rust,

only have the roof to buzz back, rust to repair and the rear beaver panel to straighten out and then seal the rest of the bare metal up into epoxy, then I get to play in the bog dust!!

will get some more pics up this week

krem