Fart Smell On Reversing

New member here. Hello!

I've just bought myself a manual 2005 Toyota Corolla Conquest ZZE122R 5Y.

Loving. It.

However, after purchase I noticed that when reversing hard - up hill or on unsealed road... well, there's this horrible fart smell.

Wondering what it could be? My google search turned up clutch or catalytic converter... I dunno what that means...

Any ideas?

Members dont see this ad

LOL!

Go to a different service station to fill up next time, then see if the smell goes away ;)

Clutch will normally smell like something is burning if you give it a hard time.

Edited by rian

Change fuel first for sure, but if that doesn't fix it then its catalytic converter time I expect.

Its no longer breaking down the produsts of part-combustion and you are smelling suphur compounds. A gas analyser at a testing station will tell you how good it is.

The clutch wouldn't slip and smell in reverse, and you would feel it not working.

I don't understand much of the last comment, was it supposed to make sense?

Just to point out it's not a clutch burning smell but a fart smell. Smells more like fart to me (methane?) than sulphur, definitely not pleasant.

I guess I'll get the car checked out. Just refueled and getting used to friction point so I'm not over-revving so much which will also help.

• 1 year later...

The smell is normal.

But why are you reversing hard up an unsealed road?

If the cat con is not up to operating temp i.e. you are reversing up a driveway in the morning, then it won't yet be functioning properly, and could explain why you are getting the odour.

Either that, or you had eggs for breakfast.

I had some punks throw a fart bomb under the rolla once when I parked opposite Beenleigh High School.

I'd have been pissed but it smelled like something if have done back in the day... Damn sulfur.

Edited by GJM85