Got A Mechanical Inspection - Halp?

Nic93

Hey guys, so I checked my car in (AE92 GTi) for a mech. inspection today, i've had it for about two years now, always ran a little rough, but i kept it nice and serviced well over the years.

So the mechanic comes back with this; can I please get some feed back on this? whats important, my guess is the leaks, he didnt figure out why my front end knocks, its a weird thing to describe, it happens when i put down power - not necessarily flat footing - but moderate acceleration, its a very rapid knock, almost like a driveshaft knock of some sorts, its not CV's because i do the full lock turn and no ticks, so if anyone has had a similar issue it would be much appreciated! here are some pics of the report and my car :)

post-18483-0-63980700-1370427686_thumb.jpg

post-18483-0-33903700-1370427716_thumb.jpg

post-18483-0-63438600-1370427749_thumb.jpg

post-18483-0-26923300-1370427774_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Is the knock at engine speed or driveshaft speed? So is it different in different gears or always the same rate whether in 2nd or 3rd at the same speed??

Does the engine pull smoothly on all 4 cyls? If it misses a bit on one cyl the knock might be from the engine tilting and vibrating as it misses.

Are all the engine mounts firm? No chance of it tilting and getting steel on steel under acceleration? .FWD gives the mounts a hard time as they try to counteract the torque.

Its hard to pin it down to a certain time, but its usually in all gears, when ever i try to pick up speed, so like in 1st 5-20 or something, in 4th 90-100, it seems more like driveshaft speed, but I'm not sure. i'll do a few more drives where i properly note down, and i'll come back tomorrow!

I had a knocking/rattle on acceleration when i had my exhaust fitted the collector of the extractors were too close to the gearbox cross member and the engine movement on acceleration would a send knocking sounds thru the car check something like that isn't the problem

I had a knocking/rattle on acceleration when i had my exhaust fitted the collector of the extractors were too close to the gearbox cross member and the engine movement on acceleration would a send knocking sounds thru the car check something like that isn't the problem

Okay! interesting, i'll have a look on my lunch break! thanks :)

Something like that though you would expect to be a single knock whenever you accelerate/brake (ie whenever the engine shifts), not a continual knocking noise