Ra65 St Coupe

LittleRedSpirit

I admire your patience, which you need with body resto work. Not something you can rush.  Great work !

The rain & moisture in the air here in Brisbane, of late; does not lend itself to achieving good paint finishes.

I have a very soft spot for the Celica.  I had never owned or driven one even; until I met my wife.  She had an RA40 lift back, with that enormous rear "expanse of glass".  I think it was a 21st birthday present from her Mum.

Looked like this, & I think it was a 1979 model.

image.png.2ace30a9335a7c0f77545daa53b193b6.png

We did a few interstate trips in it, together; & I fell in love with it.  It was a great cruising car, & extremely reliable.  It had lovely long legs !  I think the only thing that failed in it, in all those years was an electrical oil pressure sensor/switch, somewhere slightly north of Mildura, on a trip to Adelaide.

We put so many klms on it, but were in rented accommodation, at the time, so couldn't really work on it too much.  Only thing I recall, that was wrong with it, when we eventually sold it, was the timing chain tensioner, which was oil pressure operated.  The chain used to slap a bit, & was very noisy when you first started it up. 

Cheers Banjo 

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Have now done the auto fluid and filter as well as resealing the auto oil pan with a new gasket.  Its got new Penrite 85 140 diff oil too.  Ive fitted a rear wheel cylinder and bled brakes and fresh fluid right through.  I test drove the car and found the front shocks were still in need of doing so I put my Koni Sport adjustables in that I had on the shelf,  set 135 degrees back from full stiff.  Car feels lovely to drive now, took a good long drive up the highway and it was superb.  It now needs the AC fixed, and Im going to hand it over to a painter to redo the roof, bonnnet and boot areas as I dont have the equipment to do that here.  Then it will be regretably up for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I put it all back together minus the grill and sent it for AC repairs.  It had a rubbed through a hose from my big fan that I added to the condenser.  I removed the big fan for now, and will replace the 400mm unit with a much more appropriately sized 300mm one.  Otherwise its all fixed mechanically now and the AC is 3 degrees C.  If I'm being fussy I might grease the steering rack and tie rod ends.  The suspension is performing well.  Next to no body roll, or pitch and bounce with good shocks in it.  The Konis are in the front now dont know if I mentioned.

Just need to find someone to spray the top of it now.