Help Needed For Rust Repair

Hey guys, i've just got myself a Ke70, and there is quite a bit of rust that i wasn't able to see until i stripped the car down. I'm quite new to this and really this is my first time working on a car, so i'm not too aware of how to fix all rusted situations. So far I've removed some surface rust and minor rust here and there, but this rusted area was actually behind the left hand side fender.

img2013061200034.jpg

I saw that it was rusted from behind, so went and stripped the interior to investigate and found this.

img2013061200030.jpg

img2013061200031.jpg

Its quite a tricky spot and i really don't know how to go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Members dont see this ad

Get in there and scrape as much as possible off, doesnt need to be bare metal. RustKill can be painted on rusted surfaces as long as all the flaky stuff has been removed. Its only a temporary fix, if its a car you wanna keep for years and years at some stage you'll need to strip the dash out to repair it properly.

Also its probably rusting from a leak. Hunt that sucker down and plug it.

if you can find another car and cut out the section you need and weld it in, if not find some plate and weld it in.

May as well do it properly, the fibreglass option is effective but it will need to be repaired again at some stage, especially if it starts to leak again.

That's one of the hardest sections to fix on these cars so if its your first time then you're going to struggle....I sound negative but its the truth, I've had to do this twice and you have to go from the TOP not underneath which means your going to have to either cut or drill out the metal from the top and work your way back from there.

That's how far in I had to go and I have already made a new heater vent in that pic

F3BED459-DA18-4F59-9F50-2992D4697D0B-8425-000009B6766E2232_zps1a731f4d.jpg

And this it all back together:

C902EB7A-33E4-4F5E-A0A0-08B72387B9FF-621-0000004A12A69CE2_zps59598180.jpg

Sorry i'm not sure what you mean by leak

When it rains. If water gets into the car at the corner of the windscreen it can follow the path shown down that area. It may have leaked for a year or two in the past and then had the leak fixed. The water that goes into the ventilation grille in front of the windscreen when it rains may also find its way inside.

There seems to be a water trail where I've drawn the circle. It is easy to see in your other photo.

post-7544-0-32873600-1371099799_thumb.jpg

Best is to cut and weld that degree of rust, next option for less rust would be media blast and seal,

then lastly for surface rust can wire brush & use a chemical remover/converter but must be careful

with the product selection and application.

Edited by styler