Clutch Plate Help Please 21 Spline K50

Hi All,

Was hoping some Toyota gurus are able to help me out on my clutch problem.

I believe I have a 5k engine mated to a K50 (5 speed box) and need to get a clutch replacement kit for this.

Originally i bought the clutch kit that suited the KE70 4k and found out that it had a 19 spline input shaft compared to my 21 spline shaft. I can't find the correct clutch plate that will fit my gearbox. Dimensions of the gearbox 21 tooth spline are: 21ml outer tooth and 18ml inner tooth x 200ml.

I have done a search on the exedy website for the rarer K50 21spline clutch place and the dimensions seem to be out by about 3ml.

It had also crossed my mind that i may have a K-T50 gearbox but even those parts don't match.

Part numbers i have tried are the below:

TYK-6280 (K50) 21T x 24.1ml x 180ml

TYK-6319 (T50) 21T x 24.1ml x 200ml

Can someone please tell me if there are any other toyota clutches i could have a look at? it is driving me insane! i can take photos of the gearbox for clarification if needed

Thanks, Andrew

Members dont see this ad

Its a t50 gearbox ,It looks like someones converted it to a cable type just looking at the ruff job on the bell housing.

The clutch plate i have in mine is a PBR R7098W.

This fits using a normal k engine pressure plate and a ta 22 thrust bearing.( hydo set up)

The only thing that doesnt add up is your measurements .

The shaft should measure some thing like 23mm od,on the spline,and 21mm measuring in side the spline.

don't no if this helps or not rob

That is a k-t50.

The 21 spline clutch on the exedy website should fit with a stock 3/4k flywheel. If you have a 200ml flywheel it means someone has got a custom plate made up. Swap to a 180ml flywheel and just use the normal 21 spline kit!

Thanks for the repsonses guys,

I was trying not to go down the route of not changing flywheel as I have just got this machined.

The 21 spline set up from exedy looks like it is going to be 2ml difference so was thinking there would be too much play.

I do have the 200ml flywheel. Are there any potential issues in going down to a 180ml flywheel?

Clutch plate has is getting sent to exedy to see if they can match it up with anything and if not they will quote me for a custom job. Has been a real pain in the backside returning all these different clutch plates to a vendor that deals with exedy.

Another thing i want to ask is are there meant to be any retaining clips for the throwout bearing?

The main reason why i am going for the clutch change is because i had a very loud throwout bearing. When looking at it,it was just seized on and i had to hammer it out.

appreciate the assistance guys. gotta love dealing with engine conversions :)

Edited by andrewly

The bearing is just pressed onto the retainer, but the retainer should have little wire clips holding it to the fork.

If I were you I would be getting rid of the custom plate now. I know you're not thinking about the next clutch change now but when it does come time you (or the next owner) is going to be in the same situation! You should pretty much be able to find a 180mm fw for free locally, then you're just going to have to spend around $40 on getting it faced. Compare that to whatever extra you get charged for the custom plate.

I've been pushing well over 100rwkw though a hd button 180mm kit for years now without any issues.

Btw the reason your bellhousing has been hacked just in front of the fork hole is to make clearance for the 200mm pressure plate. The bellhousing was never designed to accommodate a pressure plate that size.

So whoever put that 5k and gb together should have just swapped the 200mm out for a 180mm and it would be a simple off the shelf clutch kit and you wouldn't have a hacked bh!

I see your point Taz,

I must be missing the retainer part which is a bummer. The whole engine conversion of my rig is a nightmare. i have got a welded (not bolted) cross member and the engine had to come out for the gearbox to have enough clearance to come out.

I might go and hunt around the wreck yards and see if i can pull off a 180ml flywheel of a corolla and look for the retainer clip infront of the box.

I always thought the hacked bellhousing was to accomodate for the clutch fork being pushed back and forth. the original dust boot was ripped to shreds and barely covered the hole. I made good use of a HD rubber glove and a piece of leather for this.

So if the flywheel was 20ml smaller (180ml vs 200ml), wouldn't the starter motor not reach the flywheel once all put back together?

Another thing i want to make abosulte sure of before i go down this path is to know that the 21 spline clutch plate will fit on directly with no play (TYK-6280 (K50) 21T x 24.1ml x 180ml). I am pretty sure my measurement was pretty accuarate, and if it wasn't it should only be 1ml difference.

i apologize if i'm completely wrong above the above statement, this is the first time i've played with clutches/gearboxes.

edit: I have been reading up on some other sites and people have been pointing to the KE74 clutch disc which is the above mentioned TYD008U. I might give that one as my last shot and go from there.

Edited by andrewly

So i took the advise from kickn5k and took my stuff to a brake and clutch shop and it got matched up to clutch disc TYD008U

The disc is a little loose on the spline however everything got sorted in the matter of 2 hours including throwout bearing.

Happy times installing it now - thanks all