Ke30 Manual Conversion Xmember Info Help!?

Ok first up, straight away, I know you forums have a search function and google works well AND people have done it in their build. I HAVE SEARCHED FOR THE LAST 4 HOURS. All I have come up with is a lot of conflicting and not very helpful info.

I'm about to buy a ke30 auto (definately!). Now It has a later 3 speed which seems to be the problematic one. I have both ke55 5 speed and 4 speed but that's irrelevant. Now I know you have to cut the tunnel for the selector. Or you get a ke70 5 speed.

What I want to know it what is what is the go with the xmember??

If I use the k40/50 what do I need to do? (Xmember wise)

If I use a ke70 5apeed what do I need to do?

Every thing is vague and only says weld it ora don't use this one or that one.

I wouldn't post here if I could find it else where so any help for a struggling brother would be great! Or at least a link to somewhere that clearly points out what can't go with what and what works.

I could wing it but I want to know what I'm in for...

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Hi Karel,

I've done the KE70 5 speed box into a KE30, that had an auto. It's really a breeze, without too many troubles in the x-member department. I found you can use the existing cross member with just the need to drill two new holes for the rear gearbox mount. The gearbox mount is different to the KE55 4 & 5 speed gear boxes, and hangs lower, requiring the cross member to be spaced off the chassis by about 20-25 mm, to keep the tail shaft angle the same. Because of the spacers, you'll need longer bolts for cross member to chassis, but they are not a hassle to find.

If you are like me, you'll have more trouble doing the pedal box conversion, (because of the tight location) than you will with the gearbox & cross member fitting.

Nice thing is you can use the same tail shaft. Only trick with auto to manual conversion is to bridge the ignition lock out, in the wiring, at the auto console.

Cheers Banjo

So lemme get this straight.

-ke70 bolt up awesome.

-ke55 k50/40 space down, holes line up all cool but definately have to move the selector hole?

I trust you and info with out foggyness is awesome can I get Some one to confirm all of this??

Spacing down is for tailshaft angle but lowering rear will do the same thing.

Yeah I figures inhibitor switch may cause a few situations.

I just converted a 3 speed ke30 using a ke30 4 speed and matching tail shaft. I had to get a custom cross member made up using the existing auto cross member, as the gearbox mount was about 150mm forward. In addition I had to space it up more than 25mm with longer bolts too.

I can take some photos if that will help?

Yeah photos will be great. I've manged to source a ke30 manual cross member/mount thanks to a helpfull folower to bolt everything up. So hopefully all goes well in that regard!.

I'm getting the car this coming Thursday and hopefully will be a 5k 5speed by Monday ;)