Ae92 Tps Adjustment

Nic93

Hey guys!

I've been having a bit of idle issues for a while now, before i had my major service my car would idle at around 1.5-2k RPM, ever since its been running smoother and alot lower at around 400-550RPM, which is too low - almost to the point where it cuts out, not to mention the slight feathering i have to do to get going which can't be great for my clutch. Anyways maybe my TPS is off its mark and was wondering

1) How do i check?

2) What value should it read?

3) How do i adjust it if its off?

Thanks a million!

Members dont see this ad

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=40475

there is some information in here.

Essentailly what i have done in the past, the TPS is held on with 2 screws, and if you loosen them, you can spin the tps in its position, this is the "Adjustment"

So get your engine running, and start spinnig the TPS around (slowly...) , you will notice that there is a point where the engine tone changes, the TPS has an "idle switch", and the ecu does something differnt, not sure what it is. but you want it to be in idle mode ....at idle!.

its quite possibly the case already (given that it recently dropped from ~1500 rpm to ~600rpm), perhaps the tps has recently moved by itself, and perhaps all you need to do is adjust your idle? which is a screw somewhere around the throttle body.

If the engine drives alright, and you don't get any fault codes in your ecu, perhaps try adjusting your idle first? and make sure the TPS is tight.

If the engine drives alright, and you don't get any fault codes in your ecu, perhaps try adjusting your idle first?

^^this. 4AGE idle speeds are dependent on the cooling system, so if there was a problem with the cooling system that got fixed during the service (ie air bubble etc) then the idle speed will change. Also, 4AGEs idle quite high when cold (~2000rpm) and a lot of people think that isn't normal and try and turn the idle speed down to something that they think is more normal (say ~1300rpm) but that then completely screws up the warm idle speed and causes the car to stall. If there is an air-bubble in the cooling system then the car might stay at cold idle speeds the whole time, which hides the fact that the idle speed screw might be set completely out of whack.