Aurion V6 Into Ke70, Is It Do Able?

1991Timmo

could i manage to slot a aurion v6 into my ke70 and still be able to keep the handling characteristics? and keep it street registered? rego isnt a must, but handling is. i like to be little different. I'm pretty sure a drifter slotted one into his ae86 and had his car featured in PI magazine

Members dont see this ad

You can be sure you wont keep the handling characteristics, but you should be able to reset them. There will be a lot more weight in the front.

What gearbox would be a question? Can you fit the box you need in the tunnel without cutting it larger?? I suppose a Hilux diff would do it, then new brakes and suspension all round. I was looking at a guy's Holden Sunbird at the weekend.... with a Chev V8 in it! Must have had all of 30mm each side to the chassis rails! .....and the water pump fanbelt bolts had neatly notched the electric fans casing at the front!

ok, thanks. i want the car to handle, and not just around nice smooth flat race tracks like calder. for handling I'm proberly much better off going to an sr20 or 4age. or something else along those lines.

You can be sure you wont keep the handling characteristics, but you should be able to reset them. There will be a lot more weight in the front.

Fully alloy v6 vs cast 4cyl

2gr-fe 163kg vs for comparisons sake smallport 4age 155kg

1/2gr-fe's are lighter than sr20s

weight will be very negligible vs the amount of power gained

From the man himself as far as driveline goes.

Custom Chromoly 3S-GTE Flywheel and clutch

W57

Locked Hilux diff

There is better videos but meh

You know the kinda of stuff to look up for further details

he's on some forums Toysprinta

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo

Well, the power will certanly overwhelm the weight difference, but when it comes to the actual weight in the nose, my 16yr-old daughter and I lifted the full 4K out of her Corolla with a length of 4x2 and a rope... So probably well under 100kg.

This site lists the 4A (as in 4AC) at 225lb, or 100kg, and the Camry alloy V6 at 400lb (178kg) That 80kg extra plus that giant W gearbox will need quite a bit of balancing by the Hilux in the back. Its a shame no-one uses Alfa transaxles with the gearbox as part of the rear axle.

http://fixrambler.com/engineweightchart.txt

yeah but look at the audio quattro. 5crl and 4.5 of them are in front of the strut towers. And its been quite successfull!

a V6 is only 3 and a bit cylinders long remember, so if you have the sidways room, they tend to fit nicely and have most of the weight towards the rear of engine bay.

I just cannot see how they can close the bonnet on that AE86!

So if we mount the V6 with two cyls behind the engine mount, like a 4K, where will the gear stick end up?? In the Datsun that I moved the motor backwards in, I had the gearlever turned around to face forward and bent it downwards like buses used to have. That was with two cylinders under the firewall, so the V6 won't be that extreme.

That way will certainly help to keep the weight rearwards.

Those modern euro cars usually have swept back strut towers, you need to consider where the axles sit to consider the balance.

Ive looked into this idea before. Its around 180kg for an engine and box with what you need to run it attached to it with the 2grfe.

There are several difficult custom fabrication projects involved.

The bell housing is the first one. Just mating it to a tranny. It is similar to the S/Y/MZ/VZ/AZ pattern. So w5x is a possibility. It would bolt up to any of these housings with minimal mods. Starter positions are different on different housings. You could also look into adapting an r154 with a 1GR housing from a Hilux and a custom adapter/spacer for the housing to overcome the longer 2wd r box input shaft.

Once you bolted this up, you need a starter. I'm not sure where the Hilux 1gr housing puts it. I know its a choice between fitting it from the front and cutting away any extra metal on the block if it interferes, ala 2azfe, or its make a custom rear mount bell housing that holds the starter low and from the rear so it misses the firewall. A lot like where an rx-8 starter is if you've ever seen one.

It may be easier to have a custom housing manufactured. This could solve both issues in one build.

The there is the offensively tall and annoying intake system on the 2gr. You see in toy sprintas car there, it sits really high.

Id be trying to change to something that's lower and higher volume, possibly itbs.

The there is the difficulty of tuning the multiple vvti systems, means you will most likely need a very good ecu and tuner to make it run and find all the available power once its running.

Add diff and brake upgrades,safety upgrades and some serious suspension mods to the mix and you have a hefty project.

Its a great idea, as a lot of the heavy rotating areas of the motor sit back a fair way. However its still just as long if not longer than a 4age once its got all it needs, plus a higher volume radiator, that will sit forwards of it.

It can be done with great balance but would still need minor to medium level tunnel mods to do right.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to fit a 2gr into my is200 - went as far as getting all the parts. The motor is fairly tall, but with sump mods & modified inlet manifold I think it would fit in an ae71. I fitted a 3sge into an ae86 & there was plenty of room. Mate of mine years ago fitted a 1uz into his ae86, so with some patience & time it can be done,

I was using a j160 3sge (altezza) box & bellhousing & it bolted right up. you need a 1mz or 3vz flywheel. The starter setup will be a bit of work. I got a fwd camry gearbox section & a rebuilt 1.4kw sw20 starter motor - you need to position the starter under the exhaust manifold on the pasenger side. I have the starter & bellhousing segment if you want to buy it. I also have a second hand extreme h/d paddle clutch & cover that will go onto the 1mz etc flywheel.

suggest you look at using supra w57/58 gearbox with slightly modified hilux y series bellhousing.

& then your next issue will be sump (I was going to use modified 3sge altezza sump grafted onto aurion sump) & then there is the efi.... factory setup is quite smart, but immobilser is an issue - you need all the parts to set it up. (igniton key, barrel, immobiliser box & ecu) can be rekeyed as long as you have all the other parts

pm me if you want more info

Toby

I'm doing this conversion into a ra60, i bought a burnt out kluger for a dummy motor for now and later on ill just get a stat write off aurion from the auctions as they only go for around $1500 and you get the whole thing.......

P.s and you can't use a rwd 1gr bellhousing as they have a bigger block pattern.........

Edited by japlish