[Solved] Wiring For A Factory Clock

I fitted some dash parts into my ae92 hatch from a seca which included the digital clock and I was suprised Toyota hadn't included the wiring for the clock in the loom 'cause normally most things are provided for in the loom even if they aren't going to be installed. I swapped the dash top so I had a good oppurtunity to check the loom...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing the clock or an easy way to wire it up?

Edited by Moetunes

Members dont see this ad

@ Mechanical Sympathy, thanks but as there's three wires plus an earth I didn't want to risk wrecking it by rushing in and giving the wrong wire current... especially when with a bit of patience I can get an idea of what's what, which brings me to..

Thanks parrot I'm sure that'll let me get it working. Very much appreciated.

3 wires - 12V Active - pretty much straight from the battery, same as a memory wire for a stereo

- 12V Dimmer - becomes active when the lights are switched on, to dim the clock face for less glare

- Earth.

You can not break the clock, because it'll only operate 1 of 2 ways. and even then assuming you have the lights off, and the clock operating, you'd just need to connect the other terminal to the active light circuit to finish the job

Mines got four wires:-

White/Black

Green

Green/Red

Blue/Yellow

When I put the dash top in last weekend I did something to the indicator wires as they haven't worked since and it's not the usual suspects so the dash is coming out this weekend and I'll hook the clock up going by parrots wiring diagram and tell how it goes.

Cheers

Cheers for that MYSTIK.

I've been playing around with dashs for a little while now and had found that out along the way too.

Hazards come on but don't flash and I get nothing when trying to use the indicators.

Have replaced the fuse, flasher unit and column control with known working ones and the situation didn't change so it's time to take the dash out and check the wires for continuity etc...

The factory clock is lighting up and ticking over by the minute. Thanks parrot for the link to the wiring diagram, the wire colours matched up with everything I had so it was easy as.

The clock goes dimmer when I turn the lights on, I guess that's right... ?

It rained most of the morning here so I had little time to sort out the indicators (no garage so I have to work outdoors), couldn't find an obvious short, it'll have to wait 'till next weekend. Hope the weather's better.

Cheers all for the help.

The clock even keeps good time, I'm well chuffed with it.

For later reference:

White/Black - Earth

Green - Dimming

Green/Red - Connect to accessories on ignition switch

Blue/Yellow - Constant power

I just connected them all in with the radio connector as it was handy.

On another note - I have my indicators working again !

After taking the dash top off and learning all about ae92 wiring ( thanks again for the wiring diagrams parrot :) ) I found out all the wires were intact... I had blown a couple of bulbs in the instrument cluster taking it out, with the battery still connected, a few times so I figured since everything else was working there was only one thing left to be causing the issue. Something, not a bulb, must have shorted or something the last time I took the cluster out with the battery connected. I had already tried replacing the usual suspects and that didn't help so it was time to check the less likely suspects. This was nothing even remotely similar to anything I've encounted before, but I'm not in the habit of continually blowing things because I haven't disconnected the battery first. But since I had spent half a day with the laptop open showing the wiring diagram pdf confirming all the wiring was intact it had to be something in between all the wires. It was the hazard light switch. Today I went to the wreckers for a replacement and 15 min later I was indicating again. Funny thing is, after driving for a couple of weeks it was today for the first time that someone honked at me for not indicating.

tl;dr it was the hazard light switch.

The hazard lights switch has two power sources, a white wire from the fuse in the engine bay(which is why the hazard switch would light up the indicators) and a green/red wire from the turn fuse near the drivers' kick panel which is passed to the flasher unit then to the column switch(it was this part of the switch that failed which is why the hazards wouldn't flash and there was no power for the indicators). I learn new things each time I break something different...

Edited by Moetunes