4A-Ge Head Studs Long/short

ATOYOTA

I've just received my ARP head studs (10 in total) and there's 2 different lengths, 5 of each.

8il6.png

My question is, which ones go where?

It's going on the twin cam 4K but most of the parts are interchangable with 4A-GE.

Members dont see this ad

That's the impression I was given, each bank of studs in uniform length.

Every manual I try and download is either uttlerly useless or riddled with fvcking viruses.

The only assumption I have is to put the shorter ones on the exhaust side, because ARP studs supposedly interfere with the snout on the distributor on 4A-GE's. Pretty shit when you think about it, considering these studs cost me $300.

The longer studs will all go on the exhaust side of the head, I have no idea why this is, it's just the way the standard studs were when I pulled them out of my bigport. Have you got the standard items to compare the ARP items to?

The numbers indicate order of removal :)

post-5437-0-67436900-1374129114_thumb.jpg post-5437-0-77357800-1374129131_thumb.jpg

Edited by carbonboy

Hmmmmm I went and put them around the other way and both sizes were still far too long. There's nothing really standard about Frederick's monster, so the only comparison I had was the bolts that were in there, and they're all the same size. Surely there's no difference in head thickness between big and smallport? It's only had the head shaven a couple of mm.

The short ones had 30mm of stud sticking up out of the head, and the long ones had a whopping 50mm sticking up. The threads themselves are only about 20-25mm so it's safe to say these studs are fvcking useless.

the reason why they are different lengths is because of the positions on the head, you see on one side the bolt heads/nuts are much lower down and hence need a shorter length to suit. The thread depth on the block is identical. On a 20V they only use the longer type all round.

Also there is a known problem that ARP don't tell you, you have to grind a bit out of one of the studs so the dizzy can be reinserted.

By the way I respect your machining skills

Edited by Sam_Q