4K In Ae71 Won't Crank Over?

stu84ke70

Ok so i put a 4k manual into my ae71 auto and got everything working but the motor won't crank over I know it's not the battery because I have tried another one and same result.The motor started when I riped it out of my ke70 and all the dash lights come on but won't crank.I have turned the motor over by hand so I know nothing is stoping the motor spinning.Anyone know what could cause this?

Members dont see this ad

Did you bridge the wires that stop it being able to be started when its in 'Park' when you removed the auto box?

The engine loom got changed when I put the 4k in it, only reverse lights and two other wires not sure what they do but bridged them and made no difference.

Ok got under the car today to find that there are 3 wires going to the starter, the thick one that bolts on, the one to the solenoid and there is another plug on a very short bit of wire coming off the solenoid what is this for? there are no plugs on the wiring for this? My other 4k starter (from a flat front) does not have this wire WTF.

I put the multimeter on the positive off the starter and earth on engine/body of the car and read over 12 volts is this right am I getting power to the starter?

Still don't know what this other wire is for can't be there for no reason, I think this must have somthing to do with it but it's the original starter for this engine and loom so where did the wire go on my other car, really stumped on this one.

Ok bit of an update tryed using the spare starter I had with just the two wires and the moment you connect the battery the motor starts turning but the solenoid is not moving.I have not tryed starting it because of this problem so ʞ©$ɟed if I know whats going on.Anyone got any ideas?

Took the wire off the solenoid (the little one) and checked to see if power was running trough it when ignition was off and read 0 volts then reconnected and now it's doing the same thing as the one I just took out WTF!!! turn the key nothing, I'm almost ready to trow a match in it very frustrating.

I would say the second starter motor you fitted has a faulty starter motor solenoid & is bridging internally causing the car to turn over as soon as the battery is connected, but the fault is intermittent hence it not doing it now ... Remove that starter motor & discard it ... With your other starter motor the 3 wire one before you refit it hook up jumper leads to it, so you need the earth lead on the Starter body & the positive lead on the solenoid terminal with the nut on it, then get a 4mm wire or so & bridge it from the positive terminal / jumper lead to the blade terminal on the solenoid, hold the starter well & it might initially spark when you connect it but also should throw the pinion out & spin too .. The other short wire you mention should be for a feedback wire possibly to the ignition coil to help starting when cranking ... If the starter doesn't spin when you connect the spade terminal disconnect it & try bridging the short wire, as it could really be either wire that energises the solenoid, if it doesn't spin / work with either wire the starter is faulty ..

Edited by lexsmaz