New Here With Some Questions (Te38/2Tc)

superhoeper

Hey there everybody,

I just joined the forum today to try and find some info. I recently bought a TE38 a couple weeks ago for a new project/daily driver. I don't know much about these cars, and I'm just starting in the automotive program at my school, so I have alot of questions. The engine idles pretty rough and leaks here and there. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine on somewhat of a budget. I'm going to order a new weber for it tomorrow since the old original carb is pretty shot. Anyways, I was looking for any advice for rebuilding the engine. I just want it to not leak oil and run well. This is what I have so far for a parts list: re ring kit (what size rings if I'm using stock pistons?), timing set, water pump, fuel pump, oil pump, engine mounts, transmission mount. Is there anything else I need, or anything I can skip out on? I'm on a pretty tight budget since I'm a college student. *Also is there any specific brands I should buy?* All my friends who are datsun fanatics tell me to never use american made parts on a japanese car. They suggested I use an OSK brand timing set and not Cloyes or any other brand that I had found. Also, I believe I may need to change my pilot bearing. Before shifting into reverse, I have to shift into a high gear first so it wont grind and I also have to be careful about shifting into 2nd. Could a bad pilot bearing cause this? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad