Gearbox Q

NZ_KE20

Members dont see this ad

The 5speed is the nice way to do it, but if you're desperate then hit the wreckers and get a pair of taller tyres or 14" steelies off a Corona/Celcia. Rims are $10 each and tyres $20...

You can easily work out the ratios involved, I've been swapping through 4.3 to 3.9 with tyres, gearboxes and diffs.

I've just gone down to 195/60 tyres which has effectively changed my diff ratio from 3.9 to just over 4.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after pulling engine and gearbox out, i didnt have much luck. The 5 speed, just before i whacked it on i checked the shaft. Rotated it a few times then it jammed at that point. It can rotate the other way for around 6 rotations and then jams again! Anyone know what or why this is happening? Ifr. Can fix it i will, so any ideas on where to look first would be great.

I did manage to put a full gasket kit, seals, clutch etc on the engine while it was out so wasn a complete waste of time. 4 speeds back on now. Also has anyone ever had a new waterpump leak out the weep hole? Seems odd but could of been a manufacture fault. I got sold a dud.