My 1966 Mk1 Cortina

BUZ440

So as many of you are aware, I have moved on and off from Rolla's and onto something I have always wanted, and having been chipping away, but not as tho I have disappeared tho, ill be out there soon

Plans for the car, is drive it everywhere, visit pubs and find a good pie, throw it down the track, and around also

So I had picked up this Mk1 just south of the QLD/NSW border, body is in good condition considering, and all parts came with the car to finish her off, and here she is the day I got her home,

both2.jpg

The plan was to do same as I had done with the Corolla, and I would only part with the car, either if I was cut out of it, or pick up a Mk1 Cortina, so I decided to swap the motor from the Corolla into the Cortina,

both.jpg

Given the changes that were to occur in QLD with the NCOP being adopted, I had to locate a fabricator that an engineer would sign off the cage, and all misc bits to go along with it, with that done and 7 ADR's on the plate, here she is on the truck off to get some scaffolding, as you can see how far the gearbox came back

20120924_071427.jpg

And here she is with the motor fitted and welded full cage finished, had to cut the trans tunnel out and hit the firewall, but fits neatly,

20120927_154501.jpg

Had chosen a colour for the car, its a Metallic Green, can't see much, but period specific would be a way to describe it

Dash1_zpsee806bcd.jpg

Made up some seat rails, just waiting for U shape brackets, thought id test fit the seat also, since my back was sore

Heyhey_zpsbd5ef59f.jpg

and though id stiffen up the rear with a strut bar between the towers, looks the goods me thinks with the trans tunnel complete

strutme_zps243f51f1.jpg

So now ill be working on the wheel tubs and square the outer guards, get the inside sandblasted

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Small update, decided to slap some paint on the engine bay to see how she will come up, and see if the Gear box tunnel I made up clears the box,

Colour looks good, will need to rub it back some more tho

20131003_144947_zps0a229d0b.jpg

Engine sits perfect, however is rather tricky to position the engine in without scratching the paint, thinkin a hoist is on the cards, and drop the engine from underneath, the joys of engine conversions haha

20131003_144931_zpsf50843c3.jpg

Have to point this out, drilled the hole for the shifter without positioning the box first, quite chuffed with myself, nearly got it spot on, just saying

20131003_175744_zpse7445d59.jpg

With all that done, realised that I used a round sling to lower the engine in, which wont come out as easy, bugger

Thanks guys, you don't realise how much people are into these cars yet want to own one, feel a bit bad for throwing Jap parts into her,

I would go a tube frame chassis, and I would drive it on the street, can't help myself haha

Seems everyone has come across one in there life, my mates family had 6 of them at one time, and they grew on me, more so when I saw one at the track with a turbo engine in it, such nimble cars with style

Lotus Cortina, about 80k worth of real estate rolling around there, prefer the GT500 Cortina tho, ultra rare

Alright small update,

Completed the seat rails, and the height of the seats I'm rather happy with, somewhat glad I did not go side intrusion bar/s, as getting in and out being tall is tricky, and don't want the lady to do a Paris Hilton, haha

20131010_112635_zps97b8aa25.jpg

20131010_112654_zps7dc4c571.jpg

Have to show off my welding skills, have come along way, and sometimes you have got to learn and give it a go

20131010_112720_zpse4ada19c.jpg

Thought id drop in the intercooler I had in the Corolla, sometimes you need that aesthetic appeal to keep you motivated, too wide tho, and is for sale

20131013_155518_zps54fcd028.jpg

Seeing intercoolers behind Mk1's on the street, give you that grin, wondering what is going on here

20131013_155603_zps76e81ff8.jpg

Trying to organise Diff and Brakes now, time just gets away from you

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Wow 12 months since an update of any, I did say it time gets away,

So here is what the rear originally looks like, simple and proven of course,

20140830_084755_zpsf9877f47.jpg

But thats not how I roll, opted for a 6 link, which enables full adjustment for street, track and circuit work

IMG_1709_zpsa6bfa434.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsfd74e2a4.jpg

IMG_1712_zpsb58273f2.jpg

Top arms to be tied in the back of the cage, box links on the floor, coilovers and brembo brakes on the rear should do the trick