4K Carb Spluttering

KE-rusing

Hey guys. My 4k was running abit rough. So decided to give carb a bit of a tune up. Had it running overrated (well pretty gud). Then I turned what I think was the idle screw clock wise and it stalled.?? (Long slotted head one with a spring) adjusted it back but when I started it it sounds like it way too Rich. Spluttering out the muffler revs were ok aswell just yeah got me stumped. Any ideas not sure what I've done wrong. Keeper having a play with it. Then checked timing and that was now abit out. So I redone that and yeah I'm all out of ideas. Oh and now the CHG light stays on

Members dont see this ad

Hey mate. Will give it a once over tonight after work cheers. . Another mate of mine just told to slightly adjust idle and mixture screws at the same time until it runs smooth again. At the mo it is what it looks like is pumping a lot more gas into the carb than air.

Check the points gap, and if you change it you will have to reset the ignition timing again.

Then use the idle speed screw to get it idling at what speed is comfortable, and finally screw the mixture in and out a 1/4 turn at a time to get it running smoothly at the maximum idle speed. You might have to reduce the idle speed on the idle screw again.

ok havnt checked the points as off yet but beisdes giving them a good clean what should they be set at?would it also be good to get some more?have a reco'd dizzy that i can chuck in but not sure if that will solve the problems I'm having

:update have seem to got it running pretty good (idle and spulterring however as soon as i pull up the handbrake it starts idling rough again with the CHG light staying on don't know enough about cars to fix this problem without some advice.....last resort would be to send it to my mecanic to give it a a once over

TIA

Points start off with two nice flat round surfaces, and slowly one side gets eaten away and the other side gets metal spark-deposited on it. The rubbing block also wears away so the gap gets smaller, which retards the spark timing.

If the points have a volcano on one side and a hollow on the other, buy new ones and get a condensor at the same time. Fit them carefully and set them to 0.45mm gap. Put a touch of grease on the rotating cam so it lubes the rubbing block. Set the timing to 8-10deg, although they will take more than that.

Once the ignition is fine, tackle the carb. Changing the timing will change the idle speed, so that might need a re-set before playing with the mixture.