Ben's 4A-Ge Ae71

B-Lugg

After three and a half years of daily abuse - it's blown up.

They have some super fun freeway entrances down here with seemingly kilometre long sweeping corners, so of course I smash it around those like I've got a Rally to get to. As I came out of the bend and put the foot down it popped.

Cylinder 2 is down to 30psi.
On the bright side I've been crying for a project or something since I moved here so at least the Mrs can actually tell me to ʞ©$ɟ off to the garage.

I bought a new daily (TDI Golf - 1100kms to a tank, thanks for coming)

I spent a few weeks trying to source either a 20v, SR20 or Beams trying to get rid of the cash burning a hole in my pocket but I've decided to build the big-port if it's still good - I'll get it out of the car and take the head off in the next couple of weeks.

Sarah (Misso) told me I have to document it all so I don't let it sit for 5 years. So here goes.

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Ascension.
vOsab9X.jpg

I've always wondered why the clutch was such a trooper through abuse - turns out the old owner popped an Exedy clutch in there when doing the conversion and never told me.

Sidchrome supplied the most expensive washers of all time to put the 4AGE on the engine stand. This is the first time I've used the imperial sockets.
TPYsXFG.jpg

Now I can get started pulling it all apart - hopefully the head is still good.
rk0zx6J.jpg

• 2 months later...

I suppose I should update: Unfortunately when the head came off it didn't seem to be too nice and there was scoring throughout the block. 
Considering rebuilding the thing but did the budget and I'd prefer to head in a different direction.

I'm currently trying to source a Blacktop 20v - if anyone knows of a decent example lying around - I have cash waiting.

I figured now it's ʞ©$ɟed and sitting around in the garage, I'll do it right the first time and put something cool in. 

• 3 months later...

Blacktop was incredibly hard to source even with cash burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm just going to make the 16v cool.

Just starting to get the reasoning why people tend not to rebuild these motors. I'm throwing money away like a bricky at the pokies and I have even touched cams and computer.

Soon!

I have these grand plans to put a 4age in my KE70.  So far i have an old used and abused AE82 4age (which i believe is a 16v big port?), a RWD manifold and a tail shaft haha,  I am debating on whether or not to send my manual pedal box to KE conversions over east to get it converted to a HYD clutch set up or just keep searching for an AE71 pedal box. 

I am planning on rebuilding/refreshing the 4age prior to installation but from all the people I've spoken to that had had NA 4ages they all seem to have been disappointed with the outcome and have told me to just to go turbo.  How did you find the NA 4gae? and what are your plans with the 16v?

Edited by Numbaly

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 6:19 AM, Numbaly said:

I have these grand plans to put a 4age in my KE70.  So far i have an old used and abused AE82 4age (which i believe is a 16v big port?), a RWD manifold and a tail shaft haha,  I am debating on whether or not to send my manual pedal box to KE conversions over east to get it converted to a HYD clutch set up or just keep searching for an AE71 pedal box. 

I am planning on rebuilding/refreshing the 4age prior to installation but from all the people I've spoken to that had had NA 4ages they all seem to have been disappointed with the outcome and have told me to just to go turbo.  How did you find the NA 4gae? and what are your plans with the 16v?

If it's your first one, just do yourself a favour and do everything as simple as possible. Baby steps kind of thing. I'd definitely hunt down an AE71 pedal box as I hate using modified stuff when there is an OEM option. 

My NA 4AGE took 3 years of complete unparalleled unsympathetic lead-footed limiter bashing abuse and still got me to and from work everyday.

Turbo is great for power but I've become quite fond of NA responsiveness and reliability.

I'll be sticking NA and I'll update the plans in the next post (Y).

On 10/8/2017 at 9:39 AM, altezzaclub said:

Well Ben, i'll finish the vented disc experiment and you can do the Bill Sherwood dry-sump-with-stock-oil-pump one..  Solves all sweeping corner problems!

Very peculiar way of doing it! Personally I'll always prefer the bolt on 86 option, lol. If I hadn't blown my budget out already, I would have taken you up on that!

Booking the head in for reconditioning this week - cams, valves, springs and computer to be ordered this week.

I have absolutely no direction with the block though, will try to work that out this week too.

I'll leave you with a bit of a teaser test-fit before I stripped the motor down.

rIXVqR0.jpg

w3XIrPa.jpg

j2Y4ehf.jpg

• Like 1