Ke55-S Xx Coupe

Mechanical Sympathy

Members dont see this ad

So just before we get too excited, the oil would have bumped up the compression as it made a better seal. I'd say run it for 10mins and test again. If the oil goes away and compression drops back to where it was......well you are still up for rings!

Actually i remember my 4age now. I tested the compression straight after picking it up from littleredspirits garage, terrible results, worse than yours I reckon.

I then put it on an old tyre, used some PVC piping as an exhaust, connected up an ECU and a fuel pump and started it, thats when the compression came good. Put the engine in the car, stated it again and blew the headgasket, and it was the worst condition headgasket i have ever seen, changed the gasket and happy days for 4yrs. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah true, I've noticed in the past, presumably the engine was in good running order before stored, when I've used a motor that has been sitting a while with poor compression, when being used again, rust deposits from valve seats and any gunk contained in the piston ring grooves (causing the rings not to expand) eventually blow their way out which certainly give better results down the track,

cheers! 

• Upvote 1

I'm certainly trying to temper my excitement for the moment!

I ran it for a good 15 minutes, until all the smoke cleared and I began to worry that the neighbours might not be as pleased as I was, that late on a school night.

I'll reset the mixture screws this evening and "turn it around" in the street, then check the plugs and re-test.

If it's good I'll pledge to honour my bets/clamp the battery/go crusiing in <month!

So grateful for all of your input.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's it Dave.

If it had "oil injection" it might be able to keep the compression up, but I haven't been able to keep it running on all four reliably.

I am also hoping that it's basically fine, just needs a freshen.

Seeing that pic on a desktop PC today highlights that I could give it another 2000grit/buff/wash in the meantime!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The engine was pulled down and it had spun #1 conrod big end. As a result the piston was tap-tap-tapping the head. And all the pistons were shot.

A couple of weeks later, presumably after a clean and measure, I had the quote and gave the go ahead. 

The head will get a full recondion, custom forged pistons to suit the 'EU squish chamber head, and bottom end rebuilt and balanced with the flywheel. Standard cams, because I'd just like it to be punchy around town. Hopefully there's a lift in compression from the pistons & rebore & reface but I'll leave that to them. "Pump fuel".

Should be good for 20+ years of Sunday driving!

Forged pistons with a late/last model head is probably not the usual 2TG rebuild but I'm just going with it rather than try find an early head. Bit of a lead time on the pistons I understand haha

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy