Ke55-S Xx Coupe

Mechanical Sympathy

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Nice work, nice old rola out and about.

Not sure if this is what you mean, i have polished a fair few plastic headlight lenses, they come out like new. Same process as polishing wheels really.  Sand with course paper 120 grit dry if they are bad enough to need it, or finer if they not too bad. Then work down to 800 wet. Then use buffing compound for 2 pack paint and a sander/buffer with foam pad for paint, coarse compound then fine grit, they come out like new.  

• Upvote 1

I expect you're right about the sanding and buffing the lenses. I think they also need some colour repainted on the inside to bring up the lustre of the Australian lens plastics.

I had a go with waving some evaporated acetone over them, after I did it to my Echo headlights.

That seemed to reflow the plastic and made a better base for some fine grit and buffing compound, though I haven't gotten that far yet.

Indeed I re-read my post and it wasn't clear. I'm more so interested in how to re-chrome the surrounds. I painted them rattle-can chrome, but over a few months it dulled off to grey.

I see you can get $200-300 chrome kits that are applied in multiple layers with an airbrush? That might be the way to go..

• 1 month later...

I paid rego and insurance today - 12 months on the road and clocked up 4000km so far.

Which left me thinking I should drive it more often. So I took it for a run to get beer and cat food. 

It's such a fun little car to drive!

Can see where I backed into a rock on a pal's driveway. Bah!

IMG_3783.JPG

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

• 8 months later...

It's been mostly shed-bound over the summer. Not sure how I ever survived without airconditioning when I was younger!

But lately the weather has been just perfect for weekend drives, so I've had it out and washed off the dusty cat prints. People love to chat about old Corollas, so driving it is always a social time.   

A few little things on the to-do list, but it's a still a good drive. Needs new axle bearings and an oil change. And these tyres are getting a bit hard..

IMG_E4624.thumb.JPG.2e8c3a0fe29335a7727f805690966258.JPG

IMG_E4638.thumb.JPG.3debee63b198f1c83814b98a1e21e73a.JPG

On 11/1/2018 at 10:58 PM, chestikoph1 said:

Looking shmick, good to see her getting driven. With the rear light surround I know you can get plastic chrome plated. I think they hit it with a special primer and then chrome plate it.

Yeah I see you can get ~$200 kits of the special primer and chrome, to be applied with an airbrush. Might have to give it a try.

They're getting quite dull. And the lenses too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I finally got around to fitting the 13' Jovites. My neighbour is managing a new tyre store so he sourced some cost-plus 205/60/13 Nangkangs, fitted them and passed them back over the fence. 

It's fair to say that the lighter wheels have transformed my enjoyment of the car!

Steering turn-in is vastly improved, along with handling and dampening. No more crashing and shimmying over bumps.

In hindsight those 15' Superlites were far too heavy for this car. Now it's a lot more fun to drive.

Also installed a factory radio where there was once a hole, hooked up the tach and replaced the dash globes - just a few niggles that had been on my mind!

IMG_E6998.thumb.JPG.64ede6912d31ec6edf357eec3e5f3507.JPGIMG_E7003.thumb.JPG.0725457174d6ad1189ca3d3431194254.JPGIMG_7004.thumb.JPG.57c26b1f218012916e69db3dec224a64.JPG 

• Like 1

That looks beautiful !  Great job.  Makes me very nostalgic for my olde KE55 Coupe, that went to Corolla Heaven, with Cancer, in the rear window quarters.  Actually, mine was red also, & I put two guages just behind the gearstick, as you have.  Best Rolla I ever had !

Cheers  Banjo

• Upvote 1