Toyzooki – My 85 Lwb Sierra

andrewly

Hi All,

Just a small intro my name is Andrew I’ve always been keen to learn about cars and didn’t quite have any hobbies so I put them both together and started off with a 4wd. Always had a soft spot for zooks since I was a kid and I needed a car that I COULD NOT speed in for a year so the LWB was perfect for me. Best thing about zooks is how cheap some of the parts can be had for. I accumulate all my spare change and buy most of my parts from that! I used to own a couple of corollas – had a 03 Model corolla sportivo and then had a granny spec KE35 so was even better when i heard there was a corolla donk in here

Set up when I bought the car a few years ago:

Suzuki Sierra 1l lwb

Toyota 5k engine with lengthen/shorten jack/tail shafts

T50 gearbox

Standard transfer case

1 litre open diffs

Front and Rear Drop shackles

31” Cooper Discovery ST’s

Before:

DSC00021.jpg

Current Set up

Upgraded 1.3 litre wide track diffs, chromoly front axles with auto lockers fron and rear

6.5 ratio transfer case

Winch

2” body lift

Front drop shackles changed over for extended shackles

31” Silverstone Xtremes

The list goes on….

IMG_20130810_163921_zpsd802b02a.jpg

DSC00552r_zps6fd0a3d9.jpg

WinchBox2_zpsb2daabf3.jpg

I have had a massive learning curve over the last few years in regards to the driveline etc and learnt a lot about my car. I will be looking into playing with my engine now and should be lurking around a lot in this forum to get some info. I have a build thread in another forum but will try and update this thread according to engine related stuff - and maybe the odd flex shot ;)

Merry xmas everyone!

Members dont see this ad

Awesome looking rig mate, I had a zuk/drover with a similar setup. How good are the reduction gears!!

Have a read into "RUF" (rear up front) suspension setup. I did that after extended shackles and got so much flex out of it without getting to much lift ;)

Hi Leigh,

Loving the high top that you had and 6.5's are awesome!!! was my first mod.

I have thought about doing a RUF but still have other things i wanna do to it before going for it. Pretty happy with my flex with this set up anyways. Please see below:

DSC00516r_zpsb08abb03.jpg

Did you use the standard toyota carby on yours? my car keeps dying on steep inclines.

Pretty sure Leigh's was still Suzuki powered.

There was a guy on here who had a K converted Zuk. He had some issues with the carb on angles and rectified it by putting the Suzuki (1.3lt iirc) carby on the 4k. From memory it went straight onto the 4k manifold!

You could also always convert to efi!

i read in a suzuki forum that some people have been putting 4k carbs on their zook engines as an upgarde so thinking putting a zook carb on my 5k would be a disadvantage.

would an electric fuel pump do any justice to fix this?

at some stage in the future (when time permits) i will be doing a comp test on the engine and hopefully pulling things apart. will be my first time pulling an engine apart so will be fun and games.

i did do a comp test previously but had no idea what i was doing and turned a blind eye afterwards haha.

plan is extractors, 1 3/4 zorst and a cam. but things may change :)

efi is certainately on the cards so i will be doing a lot of reading in the coming months

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I did a compression test on a cold engine just to see what base I'm starting with.

Dry 155 170 165 160

Wet 170 185 180 180

Largest variance for dry test is 8.8% (155 vs 170) and largest for wet is 8.1% (170 vs 185)

Is this still ok without a rebuild? Just looking at my next steps to take as I have blown an inlet manifold gasket and rig stalls when idle.

Plans - a cam of some sort, need to do further reading and make some calls to the cutters and full exhaust. Hoping to get away with just a little under 1k for these items. Am I being to optimistic? Or would u just not do either and go straight for EFI?

Finally does anyone have any recommendations for shops to goto on East Melbourne?

• 2 months later...

I have saved up a bit more $$$ and now looking at different options.

Put efi on to the 5k or drop in a 7k

Can anyone recommend an engine builder who would be able to put this in + carry out a few other mods etc?

Also - I already have an engineers certificate for 5k engine conversion for my zook. Will I need another engineers certificate if I out in efi?