Ke70 4K Won't Start ?? Help

Pawlyke70

I haven't replaced the condenser yet it the dizzy I'll go to the shops now and get a new one

How's that coming along? Make sure the power going into the dizzy is insulated as it goes through the side. If the clips or wires touch the dizzy body they will short out the power straight to earth. Check it with the multimeter. With the points open and the coil -ve wire in your hand you should get an infinite ohms reading, or certainly a very high one.

If you turn the motor with a spanner to #1cyl TDC the multimeter will tell you exactly when the points close, and that will give you the ignition timing off the crank pulley. Should be 8-12deg, book says 8 I use a few more.

Put a tiny spot of grease on the cam in the dizzy so it lubricates your new point's rubbing block, otherwise they wear away quickly and the points close up.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and I forgot to ask- is that new coil a low voltage or a 12V. Most coils are designed to run without a ballast resistor, so they need 12V all the time. The ballast resistor won't feed them enough to perform properly. The low voltage coils are designed to run at peak efficiency on 6 or 9 volts.

So long as the guy in the spares shop knew what he was doing.

• 5 years later...