4Af Never Ending Oil Leak Inside Air Filter :(

cool_rolla

So if youre saying you have just thrown away the metal casing and put that on top of the carb, youve just set it up to have hot air induction. You should have just put a new stock filter in, cleaned your pcv and fitted a catch can in the line to let any liquids become caught as the gasses are expelled.

There is no performance gain from having an open air filter sucking the air from above a hot engine.

You can bin almost all the vacuum lines if you really want, just don't create vacuum leaks as you do it. Most of that is related to emissions and not making the car run better. Just keep your charcoal cannister.

Members dont see this ad

I decided to replaced it because I just want it to be easier to clean compared to original one :). I made a few adjustments for the air jet as well because I feel that the air is too much?

@LittleRedSpirit Yup! Oil Catch Can is next to the line.. I just have to modify first the air filter housing to attached the thermal valve thing.

Ill keep you all posted :)

Thanks a lot!

• 3 months later...

thats a HIC (hot idle compensator) for the HAI (hot air intake) if its not present and working you may experience carburetor icing. especially in humid 40-45 degrees F. makes the engine die at stop signs because the choke freezes. let it sit....it melts and starts back up, repeat. its gotta be there unless you were to rig a manual choke. since you have the racecar aircleaner, you must not be driving it to work.

the metal end senses temp inside the aircleaner and directs vacuum to the mode door in the snorkel. when its warm enough, in the aircleaner housing, the HIC vents the vacuum, it was sending, to atmosphere

remember, the engineers do alot of study to increase fuel economy. they also dyno test parts to get the most power and good driveability. racecar part manufacturers don't. they offer more available air but they can't make the engine use it.with just an open aircleaner housing. they offer a louder sound, but they arent making horses. just by that.

if you want a 4-af to run right, study the haynes manual. most of what you want is there for you to use. the adjustment plug has to be driiled here in the usa, to get it adjusted right. ends up cleaner at the tailpipe too! theres a port you plug after disconnecting the "M" port hose during the adjustment. the "M"port is down behind and below the aircleaner on a plastic vacuum tree. if you have a public library you may be able to borrow the manual for free?

wish i could scan in a page for you.. does anybody else have it to link to?

Edited by dannyl