Ollie's 4Age Ke70 Wagon

ollienewc

Finally got around to installing a proper light in the carport, just a cheap one from bunnings, does the job nicely. Might add another to get more even coverage.

Also picked up some corrugated iron and started to put that up. A few sheets need patching, and it's going to look ugly as hell but at least it'll keep the wind and the rain out. Plan is to somehow have a hole in the roof for my extraction fan when spray painting, but then be able to seal it all up when not in use.

post-15622-0-89516000-1436871205_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Got the rest of the iron up, stops pretty much all the wind, but I think I will need another light, the iron obviously cuts out the light too.

Mounted the fans to the shroud, just need a few more nuts and bolts. Also started on mounting the shroud to the rad, hopefully it'll all work out.

post-15622-0-40051300-1437395295_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-52842800-1437395300_thumb.jpg

You don't think the shroud cuts off too much of the normal air flow?? The fans will never come on unless you're stopped at the lights after a good hard run up the mountain.. Even then that's unlikely in Tassie! We're just running one fan and it never comes on.

What psi are you painting at? Its really all to do with how good the spraygun is, but I usually spray at about 30psi or less, just enough to atomise the paint well.

How is the surge tank going?? Is it in the engine bay or under the car at the back? I figure the front is fine, the lift pump can push a lot of fuel at low pressure up here and the injection pump can boost it to 60psi right next to the motor.

Damm nice work, I'll have to get you up to the Woolshed sometime, we really need someone who is fanatical about getting it clean and just right!

Damm nice work, I'll have to get you up to the Woolshed sometime, we really need someone who is fanatical about getting it clean and just right!

Cheers mate, I appreciate it, nice to know people out there actually read this haha. I tell you what though I wouldn't mind a bit of a break from this cold!

You don't think the shroud cuts off too much of the normal air flow??

To be honest, I'm not even sure about the shroud, I got a mate to design and make it for me, I just had to mount the fans and bolt it to the rad. I am learning everything as I go, so I only really work things out as I get to it. Guess it was the plan from the beginning, I had very limited/basic knowledge of cars before I started, so I wanted to find out how it all works and goes together. I may have to cut some holes or slits in the shroud, we'll see how it goes.

With painting, think I'm up around 50-60psi on a mates advice, think I haven't been using enough thinners either, struggling to get a nice wet coat. I've been planning to set aside an arvo to test different pressures/ratios/techniques etc. Practice makes perfect. It is just a Supercheap gun after all, definitely getting a new one before I paint the rest of the car. Any suggestions?

And unfortunately nothing has happened with the fuel system yet, got a bit frustrated as I wasn't real sure on what I was doing, so I'd like to see some other setups to get some ideas. Guess it'll come down to where it fits too. I was planning to have it all hidden under the car near the fuel tank, just so there's as little in the engine bay as possible. But we'll see how that goes too, just need to get under there..

We have a Supercrap gun and it is terrible! It doesn't have an air supply pressure control on the gun at all, and the fan spread control doesn't work. The front cone doesn't seal against the gun body either. I put wire into each of the fan nozzles to cut down the size of the fan and lessen the overspray, but we're using plain white enamel designed for spraying steel & thinned with turps! (its cheapest...)

Find yourself a new gun after reading a stack of "how to spray cars" on the net and talking to a couple of spray painters.

Just keep adding thinners until it looks like milk, and if you drop the pressure you won't get so much overspray. The only way is to try it out, like you say.

Why not ... Ah, I know why, you have a wagon and your boot floor is a different shape to a sedan, so I suppose you don't have a little corner on the driver's side behind the diff where you can hide the surge tank! Just by the panhard rod mount.

We have a Supercrap gun and it is terrible! ... Find yourself a new gun after reading a stack of "how to spray cars" on the net and talking to a couple of spray painters.

Yeah they're certainly not the best.. I've got a mates gun to borrow at the moment that I haven't used, not sure on brand but they said it's good. I'll drop the pressure and see how it goes. What do you use in the way of water traps and regulator? I have the reg on the compressor, and had a reg + trap on the gun, but it was real awkward so just used the trap in the end.

Definitely going to do some more reading and watching, and got a few spray painters I know so I'll hit them up for some advice.

Why not ... Ah, I know why, you have a wagon and your boot floor is a different shape to a sedan, so I suppose you don't have a little corner on the driver's side behind the diff where you can hide the surge tank! Just by the panhard rod mount.

Yeah unfortunately most pictures on the net are of a sedan, so I just really need to get under there to sort it out. Think I was afraid to grind the mounts, but now I'm more than happy to adapt things to fit. Are there any major do's and more importantly don'ts with setting up a fuel system in general? More worried about surge tank placement and the routing of lines

Okay I got the radiator all finished by trimming the bolts and making the spacers to go between the shroud and rad. Went and bought a metre length of 10mm rod as the original plan was to cut them to length, and drill the centre out for the bolt to pass through. I soon realised that without a metal lathe, or suitable vice for an already dodgy drill press, it was going to be hard going to get a straight hole.

post-15622-0-39154500-1438163374_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-50640800-1438164791_thumb.jpg

Had a look around and found a piece of metal tubing that was close enough to the diameter I needed. Came from the charcoal canister, not sure on the legalities of not running one so will have to check that out. I cut 4x 25mm lengths and it worked nicely. Stops the lip of the rad from bending in, and keeps it all solid

post-15622-0-89492400-1438163500_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-37889300-1438163513_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-69044000-1438163506_thumb.jpg

How is the surge tank going??

You got me keen so I finally got under the car and started to work it out today. Its going behind the fuel tank, in front of where the bumper goes. There's a nice channel behind there, but it wasn't quite wide enough so I had to remove some metal from the lip of the fuel tank, and also the support under the car that the tank bolts up to. Needed to cut off one of the surge tank mounts as well, so I'll just have to figure something out for that side

post-15622-0-14990300-1438165195_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-17607900-1438165202_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-80370700-1438165735_thumb.jpg

The main pump will tuck up there too, and I'm hoping there's enough room above the fuel tank to route all the hoses out of sight. Just sticking with regular efi hose at this point.

post-15622-0-34635900-1438165723_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-76357700-1438165731_thumb.jpg

Can anyone see anything wrong with this setup? Planning to have a filter between the lift pump and surge tank, check valve and filter after main fuel pump, then reg in the fuel bay. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on fuel regulators? Haven't looked into them yet.

Also need some advice on the best way to minimise the noise from the fuel pump too, just lots of rubber/foam?

Ollie.

Yeah sweet, cheers for that. Well this is the bracket that came with the pump, seems to fit the bill, has a decent rubber lining, just not sure if its a bit too hard/dense. It should be alright, also going to use rubber around the bolts to minimise noise transfer.

post-15622-0-95516300-1438177243_thumb.jpg

As for the fuel lines, I definitely need to do some research. I get the basics, but unsure when it comes to return lines, do I need one from the reg and fuel rail? I really have no clue, so any input would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted the linkage to the underside of the throttle bodies, need to trim the mounts down and make a bracket for the accelerator cable, but they seem to work fine. Also need to see if I can mount the fuel rail underneath too, is there any reason the injectors can't be fed from upwards, ie. uphill?

post-15622-0-25457800-1439472445_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-78777300-1439472437_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-09748500-1439472430_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the drivers rear quarter and the tailgate a super quick rub back with scotchbrite and masked it all up so I could do a test spray of the paint I already have. I borrowed a mates decent spray gun, dropped the pressure to 35 psi and could tell the difference straight away, even though it was cold and pretty breezy. Was going on real smooth with hardly any overspray. Got me keen.

Still need to polish it up, but I'm pretty certain it's a little too light, I'm after a bit darker and deeper. Looks too close to primer I think. Still can't decide whether I want metallic or not, so I'll probably get a can of each and see which I prefer.

Can also see the dodgy roofing iron sealing up the back of the car port, need to get some paint on that..

post-15622-0-13506900-1440420493_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-32290300-1440420499_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-15461900-1440420505_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-18378800-1440420509_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-93302300-1440420514_thumb.jpgpost-15622-0-14834400-1440420522_thumb.jpg

I hope you are staying slant front

Yeah mate I sure am, I originally thought I wanted to convert it to the dx front, but the slant grew on me so I decided to keep it. Found a genuine chrome bumper from Thailand, and the end caps were from Germany.. Just hoping it all lines up nicely