Family Truckster - Toyota Corolla Ae95 Sr5 Wagon

silverra23

Members dont see this ad
  • 1 month later...

Now with added late model Landcruiser head unit... gives me bluetooth for phone calls, 6 stack CD, AM/FM (god I have missed FM radio over the last 6 months!!) and an aux in for my ipod. Blew us away when it plugged straight into the factory wiring loom - just had to pull the connectors down into the right part of the dash.

Thanks to Mick for his help!

Next stop SX dash conversion and some lowering :)

Stereo%2520Install.jpg

Quite remarkable really, all plugs went click click (we did check that the power was still at the right pin before we did that). With these head units apparently most people don't have the security code enabled, so you don't have to worry about it.

It is hard up against the vent in behind there so the fit is tight, but it looks good. That was probably the hardest part of the whole install - Mick was pushing hard on it while I go the screws started.

I will likely obtain another surround from the wreckers (perhaps a black one from a Nova) and have another go at cutting the opening out to fit.I didn't do a bad job, but I would like to do better. This photo makes it look worse than it looks in person.

So did some playing with the suspension set up today.

In the front I installed KYB strut housings from an AE92 Corolla, with king spring lows.

In the rear I installed standard KE70 Corolla sedan rear springs.

Pre install guard to ground measurements at front were 655mm, and rear was 645mm

Post install guard to ground measurements at front were 595mm, and rear was 625mm

Front crossmember is now about 125mm off the ground with no load in the car, so I reckon that is low enough, especially as my jack was stuck under it! The rear hasn't come down as far as I had hoped, so I reckon the next step is a set of king lows from an ae86/ae71/ke70.

She will do for now. Photo time.

1393548_10153259934304815_4775141857493417626_n.jpg

It has come a long way!

1499600_10152606601259815_1460171514_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Did a road trip in the old girl last week - roughly 2000kmm from Melbourne to Bathurst to Sydney and then back home to Melbourne again.

Impressed the hell out of me - didn't miss a beat despite relatively high km's and averaged around 8.5L/100km despite a hard flogging on some country back roads. I reckon she would do better again if I actually spent some time working out what sensor brought the check engine light on and replaced it!

I did come to the conclusion that the suspension set up is OK for Victorian roads, but would be unbearable if you lived in NSW. The AE92 KYB struts in the front just don't seem to cope all that well with the extra weight of the 4WD drivetrain and when you hit a big bump they struggle to control the body properly. Its not so noticeable on the better roads in Vic, but it is still there. I think it probably needs a better quality shock, but I think Koni's would be too firm, so not sure what the next option might be. Probably just leave well enough alone!

Here is a photo of her in one of the streets of Bathurst

Bathurst.JPG

• 3 months later...

New update... still hating the lowered front end in terms of ride... maybe the shocks I bought second hand are stuffed... or I need heavier duty springs....

I found a really good grille at Centre Rd wreckers on the weekend when I was there for other things. Always wanted to try this grille on my 95, so I grabbed it and love it :)

New%2520Grille.JPG

There is also a AE93 SX Seca at home that I recently acquired. Bway keeps telling me I should install the smallport 4AGE in the 95.... damn its tempting :)

• 7 months later...