5K Or 7K To Ke15

Jansku99

Hi!

I'm thinking about bigger engine to my KE15. I think that I keep K engine 'coz of registeration issues here in Finland - 5K or 7K is pretty easy to disguise as 3K.

So let's get to the point: 5K or 7K?

I've heard that 5K is more rev happy, but I'm not building an race car here, it's my weekend cruiser. Does 7K bolt-on to KE15 or do you have to modify anything? Does 7K bolt to k40 or k50 gearbox or does it requide that G series or W series gearbox? How about that head height, does it fit in KE15? If not, does 3K, 4K or 5K head bolt to 7K without modification? Do I lose the difference between 5K and 7K if I change the head?

If someone has fitted 7K to KE15, could you send me pictures and / or story about how you did that?

Thank you already!

-Jansku99

Members dont see this ad

Hi I have been running a 7k in my ke15 sprinter for the last 10 years and have had no problems (driven sensibly) the conversion is simple motor bolts to 5 speed i used the twin carbs off the sprinter as the port size is the same {7k carb model} you will have to modify the sump as it hits the crossmember on the left side as the motor is a stroker it is wider and taller but fits ok CHEERS Lou

• Upvote 1

How about Driving as 7K is low rev engine? With stock diff and stock K40 gearbox? When driving at 80-110km/h does it rev over optimal revs?

So, is 5K or 7K better to drive normally? I do not race at all so I'm not looking for best power, most comfortable ride with potential to overtake someone who is driving at 85km/h ^^

Hi

Also in my KE15 sprinter 7K with the 5speed gearbox I have a high ratio diff centre as we travel interstate. This gives us good performance and economy' I have 2 other KE10's with 5K engines , and it would be hard to pick which is better. As you probably know the 7K and the 5K are industrial engines from forklifts and light vans and both have hydrolic tappets. I.m not sure what's available in Finland but we found 4K engines with a mild trick up as probably advantageous for a social drive car

Cheers

Lou

Here in Finland 5K's are a bit hard to get as they only came in few LiteAce's and rallyguys want them for their Starlet's. 7K's are all import motors from Japan -> Impossible to get cheap. They cost around 1200euros (Condition unknown) so you can get 5K cheaper.

I think I will go for 5K if there are no big differences between 5K and 7K when driven as there are plenty of parts avaible for 5K here in Finland. For 7K you have to order from eBay...

When I find cheap 5K I will tear it apart, buy full set of gaskets (I work at Toyota dealership garage so I get little discount ;) ) and toss away those hydraulic lifters. Will hard lifers with rods from 3K or 4K work? I heard that hydraulic ones cause problems... Maybe fit in 3K head (The one without that "plate" at the back of the head, I think that they had bigger ports already? Someone told me that they also had more material to carve if I have it ported?) and 3K-B twin carbs as I have the carbs already. Which is the best head for 5K? I know thet there are at least 2 kind of 5K's - With flat and carved pistons. That is not a problem if they are interchageable. And of course there are always race parts avaible from Esa Peltonen ;) .

How about rear diff? Is stock one going to hold or break if stock or mildly tuned 5K is planted under the hood if driven normally? Are there any "bolt on" types of stronger rear diffs (with longer diff ratio?)?. How about reliability of K50 gearbox with 5K engine?

A lot of questions again, sorry for that. I'm a bit newbie ;)

- Jansku99