So Many Options Sr, 4Agte Or Stick With The 2Tg

conan

I've Got a 2tg in my ke70 it leaks a bit of oil fun little motor but I'm just not sure if it's going to be reliable and cost effective for the power I want if I turbo it, on the plus side it's already in the car but it wasn't the best conversion I bought it done and the cross member looks dodgy as hell and I'll need to find an injection system and ecu which will be hard go find.

Second Option Would Be a 4agte I've Just Stripped an Ae71 so I've Got everything except the engine But I'm Just Not Sure If It Will Be Reliable Once It's boosted

finally There's the sr20det I've Got Nothing Besides A z32 Afm but The Motor Makes Good power stock So That Would Make It Reliable

Members dont see this ad

I'm Pretty happy to do all the work I'm just not sure which way to go the car already has a hilux diff in it lowered and stiffened leafsim also putting a rear sway bar in and chasing coils for The Front I'm Just Trying To Work Out what Parts to Start Buying

I'm not a boost fan, but one thing is obvious- Its better to use a motor designed for turboing from stock than try to add a turbo to an NA motor.

I'm sure it can be made to work, but there are a lot of little jobs to be done that have already been sorted by the factory engineers in a stock turbo'd engine.

What are you aiming to do with the car? Is it fun only? Track hack?

How much do you want to spend?

The way I see it:

T motors are very robust and have been shown to handle a lot of boost, but to get good power you'll be pouring a heap of money into it and parts are getting hard to find. I wouldn't use it as a base.

A motors are reasonably supported, but starting to get a bit old. If you've stripped an AE71 you've got all the bits to bolt it in. If it's a mild setup you should do OK, if it's not the gearbox won't last long and you'll be looking for W boxes which is getting more expensive and harder to find.

SR's a pretty common, supported and parts are bought and sold a fair bit. If you want cheap power it's probably the way to go. There's a bit of work in conversion, but only a bit more than with an EFI A motor.

Of course, the further down the list you go, the less street able the car will be and the more the cops will get upset if you get pulled over.

Good luck with your choice, I'm in the same boat with the same options.

I've made up my mind though so in order to help your decision making easier i would like to offer to take the tired 2tg off your hands. If you do decide to swap out the engine i would be more then happy to give the 2tg a new home. under the bonnet of my 55 coupe. Nostalgia won the battle over power for me.

Good luck again

• Upvote 1

Nostalgia for the win.

Damn straight!!! Haha

SR's are an overrated, overpriced, tractor sounding, bearing spinning POS IMAO!! Might be a little biased as I'm sick of fixing my mates 300rwkw SR Westfield after every track day. Worst part is what he's wasted on aftermarket sump, pans and pickups I could have built a dry-sump!!

Yep, its definately the sr20 thats the problem, it couldnt possibly be that lovely knocking noise that happens every time he floors it.

Old school nostalgia ftw for nice streeter, unless you want lots of powers them sr20

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

I'm Planning to drive it everyday but I want to be able to shock people when the time comes...

Happy To spend around 10k and I'd want it all engineered which is my main problem with the 2tg being older that the car. I Guess The Solution Would Be To Get A 3tc out Of A T18 And Hybridize Keeping The Newer Block And Cross Member Because Whoever Put It In The Car made A Mess With The cross Member the Engine Sits Way Too Far Forward

Don't Get me wrong I love the tg it sounds awesome pulls harder than my old 4age keto I just hate parts availability...

How Well does a 230-260 rwkw 4agte hold together andand I forgot to mention my old mans got a w series 5 speed in the shed that he will part with

I Just don't want to build a motor just for it to go pop on my way to work

And Thanks for all the input I all helps cheers

my old mans got a w series 5 speed in the shed

Will the ol' man pay the fuel bill??

Why not supercharge it if you're going to spend most the time off boost? The s'charged Altezza I drove suffered no ill effects when off boost, and it only cut the supercharger in when you booted it. So most of the time it was quite normal to drive, until you went to overtake someone. Then EVERYONE could hear it had a supercharger under the bonnet!

The other nice thing was that it could boost instantly from idle, so at 1200rpm in 2nd gear it was getting a massive torque increase. Great for driving around town when you needed it.

You are correct with saying their is never too much, i do get what you mean though. If you do have that sort of power the discipline of your right foot will go a long way too saying if it can be a daily or not.

I would say that it may not be the power that will prevent it from been a daily but rather the accessories around it. A super heavy duty clutch or Push button clutch would remove all daily ability. Other things such as suspension set ups and exhaust note might push you too resenting driving the car. You never want too resent driving the car you have spent so much time, money and emotion on.

With the work you would need too be doing your car will be off the road for big chunks, whatever you drive during that time keep and drive monday to thursday then drive the Ke70 Friday to Sunday. Might sound expensive but hating a car you have spent 10k on and may never be able to flog off for more then 5 is gonna hurt the wallet more.

• 1 month later...

Dollar for dollar, this may suprise you but a 3Tc will yield the highest power output....reasoning is because of our 3TC loving American friends. The old adage of you can't beat cubes wins over any 4age build (turbo and N/A), then there is the parts availability...everything is available from cams, head stud kits, valve train right through to a full CNC head if you so desire. Biggest problem with 2tg is cams and headstuds, you can't get them without spending $$$ (regrind cams in mho are crap as they are always a compromise) 3tc stuff is off the shelves in US of A, to get simalar power from a 4age you need to rev the crap out of it, and this brings its own issues, you need to change to shim under bucket , the bottem end needs to handle the revs added to that the drivability issues that come with a high reving engine build.

Anyhoo, that is my 2c worth and if you go down that road, hit me up for some info.

Pete

• 3 months later...