4K Or 5K Needed

#QLDke10#

Hey guys,

Picking up a new ke10 rolla project in the morning which is same old unfinished project story. Solid body resprayed and no rust so great base. Now it doesnt have a drive train so i was looking for a good 4 or 5 k base to drop in there (my understanding is pretty much no mods required to do this yes?)

I was going to pair either of these with a k50 to get it on the rosd and cruising as quick as possible so i don't end up leaving it to sit for too long.

If anyone has either engine (hopefully around brissy) please let me know.

Also any advice or tips from experience with this install would be awesome.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

Pretty much ought to be a bolt-in proposition with a 4K but there are a few things to note with a 5K.

If you source a 5K straight from a van (rather than from someone's Corolla conversion) you'll need to swap a 4K flywheel and clutch onto it because the Lite Ace one fouls (only just! I found out the hard way) on the inside of the bellhousing - or at least it does on a K40, not sure about a K50.

Might as well get the flywheel lightened and face-machined while you're at it. Make sure you use a torque-wrench to do the flywheel bolts up to spec! Tight isn't good enough.

Oh and you'll need a 3K/4K waterpump if you want to run the original radiator shroud/fan combo. The 5K has a larger diameter clutch fan and so has different mounting holes on the waterpump.

I used the Lite Ace clutch fan. It was good! It didn't hit the hoses on a KE35 radiator but a KE10 one might be a problem. Are they narrower? It drew plenty of air at idle but a blip on the throttle would turn it "off" for traffic light derbys.

If you go with a 5K you'll need a KE10 water temp sender to get accurate readings.

You'll also want to use earlier manifolds to do away with emissions "junque". Though the 5K electronic ignition distributor is a bonus.

Can't remember if I had to swap a 4K sump onto the 5K? Or even if they swap over. It was over 10 years ago. Some K engines have a different bolt spacing on the sump.

Anyway as I said this was all in a KE35. A KE10 owner might have some more insight.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

• 3 weeks later...