Ke70 Steering

jimi91

Hello everybody!!!

Have been away for a little but all is not lost ;) I have recently purchased a ke70, there are a few goodies but that can wait :P

I'm am looking for some help in regards to the ke70 steering, apparently they get binding or bump steer. noticed this when I put the car on the hoist and one wheel is straight and the other was pulling out a little. My thought is that the tie rod ends arnt long enough?? or is it to do with the struts,lower control arms etc???

Any help will be great thanks!!!

See ya

Jimi

Members dont see this ad

As far as I know the theory is that the LCAs are the same length and on the same pivot points as the steering arms, so they go up and down together.

If they are pivoted differently then you will get bump steer. Fitting longer LCAs means you have to lengthen the steering rods to keep the wheel alignment.

I'll take a look tomorrow if I remember.

OK, should look like this. These are Corona LCAs, so longer enough to give slightly negative camber.

The inner pivot point for the LCA is beside the end of the rack, so the 'rack end' and the LCA are paralell. The outer end has the steering arm on the LCA, so its fixed, and the outer balljoint of the tie-rod end goes into the steering arm tie-rod joint.

If you fit longer LCAs you'll need to wind the rack ends out further. If you fit different steering arms you can adjust for toe-in but might lose the Ackerman steering when you turn a corner.

All you should need to do is adjust for toe-in, which can be done by using a tape measure, two straight edges and a mate, or pay for a wheel alignment. Just measure across the front and rear of the tyre under the sump, same height front and rear, and give it 1 or 2mm toe-in. Check it a few times, rolling it back and forth a metre or two between each time. Its done on the ground with the normal weight on the car. Then watch the tyre wear over the next month or two.

If you've got a hoist, check all the balljoints for play and you might tighten up the big hex 'nut' on the steering rack by hand. Loosen off that giant locknut, turn the hollow hex in until you feel it go firm against the rack, then tighten up the locknut. Check that the steering goes from lock to lock without any tight spots afterwards, you can overtighten it.

cheers

post-7544-0-87569900-1395450383_thumb.jpg