Ke70, 4K Stalling On Hills

blindlight

Hi i brought my grandmas 84 KE70 S model, it has stock 4K engine. runs smooth no problems until you get to a hill.

The car will loose all power and stall out. even on a small slop you have to drop it back to 2nd and wont go any faster than 40.

Could it just be the fuel pump or is it something big?

Members dont see this ad

Auto or manual? Auto I'll bet, they are pathetic, drop back to 2nd on any hill but shouldn't stall.

Best cause would be- timing is miles retarded from not being tuned in forever... check points gap and timing. Free to fix.

Option B- a blocked jet or passage in the carb causing it to just get enough fuel to run but no more. In that case it won't haul ass in any gear, so just see what speed it easily gets to in 2nd with your foot flat down. Along with that would be fuel pump and anything else that blocks the fuel flow, and same diagnosis, as giving it a good blast will empty the fuel bowl.

You could check that when it dies on a hill- Just switch it off immediately and take the top off the carb to see how full the bowl is, or even flip the throttle wide open a couple of times and see if a jet of fuel gets squirted down the carb throat by the accelerator pump. That's not as good as taking the top off the carb, painful as it is.

Worst cause would be a lack of compression due to a worn motor, so a compression test would tell you.

Check out The Girls KE70 in my sig, do the same as we did!