Ke38 Wagon Build Gold Coast

Melon38

Hey guys i am new to the page and haven't got used to the tools and settings yet but here its goes i have just purchased myself a project car its a 1980 toyota corolla ke38 wagon i got it for only $975 delivered to my door i was bloody cheering its in good condition for its age its got a little bit of rust at the bottom of the Hatch but its not that bad its got the dirty old 4k motor which i definitely will be pulling out and replacing it with something better haven't decided what motor i want to put in it yet but the plans are get it nice and stiff and just learn to slide in it i am planning its going to take me around 2 years to

Fully build the wagon as I am building it for my opens mean its going to be turbo"d for sure and i almost forgot i got a spare gearbox,clutch,bonnet,guards,brake booster all for the same price no extra charge here are the photos of how i received it and i will keep you guys posted every time i do something new to it hope you guys enjoy the build and feel free on giving me tips and advice its much appreciated

Picture868_zps4eb44312.jpg

Picture867_zps8e0930ac.jpg

Picture866_zps227f2ae6.jpg

Picture865_zps22e0ef70.jpg

Picture822_zps6c653c56.png

Picture882_zps53cff100.jpg

Edited by Melon38

Members dont see this ad

hey guys just a updated on the wagon been doing some research on what i would like to do to it first on the list is to get rid of the square headlights and replace them with a ke55 frontend which i picked up for $70 tonight also picked up a dash piece as i would like to cut some holes in it for gauges and didint want to wreck my orignal one just incase i couldnt find a replacement mean that only cost $10 also got a gear stick surround as i have plans on putting switch down next to the gear stick here is a photo of what i picked up tonight

Picture986_zps2fa5afde.jpg

Edited by Melon38

hey guys just back with a update of the rolla i started pulling of the front end last night after work i am a chef mean don't really get that much time to work on the rolla mean sorry if i don’t update the page that much but anyway i got the grill and both headlights out then i decided i needed some sleep after a 14 hour shift mean when I got home tonight i got straight back into it to find out that i can’t get the ke30 headlights to sit in the factory mounts mean i am going to have to cut them out and just mount it straight to the rad support the only way i could use the factory mounts is if i turned the headlight 60 degrees angle and that’s stupid cause it will cause the headlights to look at the side of the road instead of the middle mean after some research i found a page with someone that has done the conversion with ke55 lights they look basically the same but ke30 lights don’t have the springs but i can just steal them of my ugly square headlights mean that’s a bonus there but a downside i have some across is the chrome dress rings that mount the headlight to the headlight buckets one of the tiny welds have broken and not sure how i am going to get it to hold as the headlight needs to be in the dress ring and if you tac it won’t it just crack the headlight from the heat mean what’s a good option to use can't pop rivet it as there is not enough clearance on the other side here are some progress photos and a photo of the broken dress ring

Start of the circle headlight conversion

Picture987_zps2abe72d4.jpg

Halfway there a little bit every night

5cdb8e1d-1f1b-42e9-870d-db3acaca1ac5_zpsbfc89def.jpg

broken headlight chrome dress ring how do you guys reckon i should re join it

99180a9a-5798-4f08-8acc-4b1afba9748b_zpsffcea491.jpg

how do you guys reckon i should rejoin this

fdd43c75-6bbe-453a-abda-b30da5ca46a1_zps39dc020f.jpg

all advice is taken in mean fell free to talk up much appreciated

Edited by Melon38

You need to remove the spot welded brackets from the square headlights in order for the round buckets to fit properly, and for your headlight trim, I'd just use liquid steel, quick, easy, effective, strong. It's the stuff that comes in two tubes and you mix the two parts together,

cheers!

Yeah just use some epoxy, the longer it takes to cure (ie 24 hour not 5 minute the stronger it is). Short of that I've got some round headlights in the shed somewhere, they might still have rings on them.

hey man just wondering how much do you want for your headlights and buckets as i have found that my headlights are both different and it looks stupid haha i just keep them for spares will be used one day Edited by Melon38

hey guys i got the headlight to sit nice and flush but there’s a little gap between the headlight and grill what do you guys reckon i should use to fill the gap i was thinking of either painting the rad support black so it’s not noticeable or was thinking of going down to autobahn and buying some universal mesh and placing it around the headlight so it fills the gap what are your thoughts on this guys

image_zps2a17fd22.jpg

• 1 year later...

sadly i had to sell this project off due to not having a place to store it anymore while i was working on it cause i lived in a complex and their was no room but heres a update on myself just moved out of home and purchased another wagon cause their just amazing its a 84 ae71 toyota corolla wagon will be starting another build thread on this but would just like to learn my way around the site so i don't spam people and post in the wrong places and tips on that guys ?