Trying To Decide On A Reliable Small Vehicle?

abatom

I'm in the process of deciding what car to get next. I currently have a 1983 Toyota Corolla (KE70) and it has served me very well. It's just come of age and I'm not longer going to spend any time on it. The things I liked about this car I'll list below, as these are the features I'm looking for in a car.

• Very simple.. No bells and whistles. (No electric windows or anything like that)
  • Manual.. preferably 5 speed.
  • Very reliable.. Engine which has a reputation for lasting forever.
  • Something I can work on myself. Not so technically chipped up that I need NASA to fix it.
  • A Timing Chain as opposed to a timing belt. Saves allot of work, especially if I'm working on it myself.
  • Around 1.5 - 1.6 liter. or even 1.3 liter. My KE70 is just 1.3 and it's great.
  • Economical on fuel.
  • Something which I can get allot of parts from a wrecker for.

I'm not looking for bran new. Something used and I would assume something in the 90's models. I only say this because later models are increasingly difficult to work on.

I would assume a Toyota would fit this bill. Probably a seca. I would like a hatch if possible as my KE70 sedan is a little small for carrying stuff. Even a small station wagon would be great.

Any clues as to which vehicles fit this description. I figured it would be best to draw on the knowledge out there rather than spend weeks asking friends and family awkward questions.

Thanks..

Edited by abatom

Members dont see this ad

~2001 AE112 corolla with either the 4afe 1.6L or the 1.8L 7afe. I got one of them, and its great car for everything, simple to work on and uses stuff all petrol (my 1.8L gets on average around 6-7L/100)

Why you are afraid of timing belt?, no dramas.

or grab a mid 90s toyota starlet, but they are a bit tooo small i think. the corolla is slightly bigger and feels great on the highway at 110.

For something a little newer (older than the AE112 though) but still cheap, an AE9x Seca or even an AE95 Wagon. They can be fitted with some bells & whistles rather easily should you desire them (power windows etc) & fit your requirements as well. With the exception of the timing belt, but as ke70dave mentioned, a belt instead of a chain is nothing major or complicated.

Good suggestions there, thanks. I really just wanted a chain because they are relatively maintenance free. I went to replace on in

my KE70 not so long ago but in hindsight, it probably didn't need it. That was almost certainly in there from the start of time.

Timing belts on the other hand, I'm not so sure how difficult they are to replace. Looks like it's planned that way i suppose.. Get's you back to the garage more often. I suppose as long as I can do it myself I should be right.

Something in the 90's would probably suit me fine though will consider cost first.

Any more suggestions welcome. Toyota's are great.. Any other models, makes which are pretty good. I see allot of small cars out there these days but not sure how they perform. How about Nissan? Ford?

I am looking for another car soon with very similar requirements to yours, the cars I have in mind are:

EP91 Starlet- Cheap to buy, plenty around (both on the road and in wreckers), toyota reliability, fuel efficient (probably around 6L/100kms), simple, timing belt, 1.3ltr

K11 Micra - Cheap to buy but not many around (forsale and in wreckers), reliabe, fuel efficient (around 5.5-6L/100kms), timing chain, 1.3ltr

AE92/AE101 corolla - Even cheaper than the above, they are everywhere, reliable, fuel efficient (around 7L/100kms), timing belt, 1.6ltr (I used to have an AE92 daily and it was great)

Early (1999-2001) Echo - Getting newer, has some newer technology but still simple, reliable, fuel efficient (around 5.5-6L/100kms) timing chain, 1.3ltr (My mother has one of these and at first its pretty ugly but some tint and wheels fixes that, dunno if its just hers but has a huge flat spot of no power in the low revs of second gear)

We have a '92 Pulsar SSS that was aquired for my son a few years back, and now that he has bought a new car he handed it back. Reliable, handles well, takes lots of luggage, and the more common 1.6L is probably a more economical motor than SSS SR20.

On the other hand, the 90s Hyundai Excels are cheap, reliable and simple, along with the Kia Mentos. Both of them were cheap to buy new and there are thousands being driven around by young people now.

The hyundai excels are awesome run arounds. My wife had one for 5 years and apart from servicing, only ever had to replace one radiator hose.

My brother just picked up a twinky one with 220000k's for 500$

Their downfall is dismal paint and cheap interior plastics.

Edited by GJM85