1Jz Into A Ke70

Kezza666Smith

There's doing things and then there is doing things right.

A 1jz is a big heavy long engine for a corolla, so you would want a driveline and suspension to be able to match the engine.

A hilux diff minimum the cost of buying it, converting it, lsd center, handbrake cables etc, thats over $1000 on its own and thats with drums, disc brakes even more cost. Then a big tailshaft to suit with solid uni's $600ish. A decent fuel system to feed the thirsty 1jz surge tank, pre pump, 044 or similar, custom fuel lines because the inlets on the other side and there aint much room in the tunnel especially if your going auto. Getting close to 3k already. Then you have to get creative with radiator and intercooler setup, you would want some decent brakes and full suspension if you want to be able to stop and turn and then the 100's of small things that go along with conversion that add up soo quickly. Engineering cost? Before you know it your doubling or tripling your original budget.

Then once your on the road what about teething problems, all the small pain in the ass figuring out problems that cost. 3k . . . lol at 3k

Members dont see this ad

3k with t04 single setup and manual trans

that is some very wishfull thinking i'd say add another 10k

unless your soarer is a manual already the r154 gearbox that they come with is around 2k alone

Give this guy a gold banana

Theres a vast array of different quality work out there with conversions. Id suggest you tackle something smaller, especially if this is your first attempt at a higher hp conversion. You want to do it properly or you will have issue with rego later.

In my conversion, I looked for an engine that weighed the same as stock but gave a capacity increase, so I chose 2azfe from 02-09 camry/rav4. Its a couple kgs lighter than the 4age I used to run. While the engineering is har to do with this particular engine to mate it to a tranny, I researched for a long time and found a way to do it. I made mounts, manifolds for some itbs, crossmember. Enlisted the help of good and skilled friends and some skilled fabricators. I intend to tune it myself to save some money. Ill probably get it running on a base map, have it dyno tuned and then road tune everything under the curve.

I'm pushing 20k already and I havenet even got an exhaust, tailshaft, or wiring done yet. Ill have it back soon with all but wiring and paint done. don't focus on your budget too heavily. You may be better off just spending the 3 grand you have now on some better suspension componentry to make it handle great and really get to know the good points of the ke70 and its nimble handling before installing a boat anchor in the front.

Engine weight and shape shouild influence your decision.

I'm not sure of a k engines weight, but a 4age is around the 118kg mark. My 2az is 113kgs. A 1JZ Might be 190kgs with all its extraslike turbos and intercoolers. Youre in v8 weight territory. As a rule of thumb, you might consider trying to have no more than 4 cylinders in a line front to back as then you wont be too far outside the normal balance of the car.

Even GM is conscious of this balance issue; when they go chcking an ls2 or larger engine in the front of a corvette they add a torque tube and trans axle to spread the wieight out to the rear of the car. Its not something car designers overlook so its not something you should either. Especially if performance in a holistic sense is the goal.

For 3 grand you could do the cheapest of 4age conversions, or work the shit out of the K engine, fit a 7k, Fit a 2tg if you can find one. You arent really going to find it will go far for some kind of 300hp upgrade with any engine.

What about sr20 DE. NA version. Its miles ahead of the stock engine. EFI, not super powerful but about 3 times better than a stock 4k thats 30 years old plus. Its not heavy either. NO bs to make tuning hard like a turbo, just run it on a stock ecu.

Honestly if you are looking for all the fun a 1jz can offer you need to fit it to a car with a straight six designed bay, like someone said above, MA series celicas, BMW e30, or maybe a mark2 rona or Nissan z car if you want to think outside the toyota box. Or just do some weight reduction on the soarer and drift that thing till it pops. Just track the shit out of it. Overcome the inexplicably heavy soarer chassis and youll be fine with it in that body.

The cost isn't going to be an issue, I don't want to spend $10,000 but lol. I wanna keep the ke70 and put something in it that goes hard is turbo but also keep the car looking stock from the outside like a sleeper I have a 7mgte sitting her aswell is that worth it or is it going to be a boat anchor aswell lol

The cost isn't going to be an issue, I don't want to spend $10,000 but lol. I wanna keep the ke70 and put something in it that goes hard is turbo but also keep the car looking stock from the outside like a sleeper I have a 7mgte sitting her aswell is that worth it or is it going to be a boat anchor aswell lol

To do it properly (ie engineered, brakes, suspension, diff etc) anything turbo will probably cost you 10k at the end of it. I have heard of people spending that on 4age's.

If your on a shoestring budget just get a ca18de and be done with it.

If I was you, Buy a r154 and some wheels/coilovers for the z30 and drive that. They're really quite good cars

Once you start doing diff conversions etc on KE70s (which you will for a sr20det) The costs rack up super fast.

I put a 4AGE in my car for 2.5-3grand this included pretty decent suspension and that was doing it super cheap compared to most (I got the 4AGE/loom and T50 for $250)

Edited by It's_AUDM_Yo