Feral4Ks Custom Backyard Paintwork Tutorial

Feral4K

HI guys, dad here better kown as Rod Braybon Jnr, Ive recently been in quite an entertaining debate with a few members on this ( what i would call a rarely bloody

decent forum!) around the differences between the usage of Acrylic( Lacquer for the ol fellas like myself!) aaand the good ol 2pak types and applications of car painting,.

I'm really unsure of how to do this but I'm keen on giving it a go, For yourselves your welcome to either continue reading or leave an opinion and give it a miss, But I'm

merely trying to get more ,young ,not megamillionaire type car enthusiasts to pick up a paintgun at home and and have a go!,( you may be surprised , i certainly was!!!),

The fella who taught myself was MATTHEW WOOD who was a student of OWEN WEBB , he was a very cruisy kinda guy who preferred a VB tallie, to a paintgun,and therefore they

came together from that point on lol, Painting and restoring cars had become a GOLD COAST 1990s everyday event, People were building all kinds of stuff at the time, i mean

everything from the VL TURBO era to the very first time we all seen a TURBO ROTARY12A RX2 literally SMASH every big V8 car on the "goldie" at that time! Well whilst those guys were throwin

literally tens of thousands of dollars at big name panelshops to make all that ENGINE look pretty aswell , we were broke arsed and makin our own cars pretty all by ourselves in our garages simply because we had nothing better,

and no money to do anything else. The story may continue from here on IF YOU CHOOSE!!! However if your all not interested ill give it a miss cheers dad! heres a teaser mwahaaaahaaaaa

post-17369-0-76234200-1402482627.jpeg The hq google who built it boys i was there!

• Upvote 1

Members dont see this ad

I had a go using acrylic on my AE86 using an old large compressor and a fairly cheap HVLP gun. Thinner/paint ratio as per the paint supplier. Did lots of reading beforehand. Came out OK though fairly flat. No clear coat, but plan on some 1500 wet in an effort to bring it up.

What still confuses me is the optimum nozzle sizing and air pressure at the gun. Perhaps I wasn't close enough to the panel/moved the gun too quickly. Better results when I focussed on getting closer and slowing down.

Hey guys thank you for the interest in this thread, parrot, as the first to ask for advice may i help you first if i can!Firstly find something else other

than your car that you think would look good custom painted ,and try it on that first.The 86 if the color involves metallic in the basecolor? please don't

sand it!!!! This will remove particles of color and metal and distort finish!. The final PERFECT coat of color and or effect is what you will eventually see beneath

the clearcoat so that must be the MONEY COAT x1 , get your car to look even and uniform all over and ready for clearcoat opinion and post back yet again guys

thank you for giving me a go...

• 2 months later...
around the differences between the usage of Acrylic( Lacquer for the ol fellas like myself!)

So are we talking Duco or Dulon here? I was spraying when Duco was the norm with enamel as the alternative, and then this new Dulon was introduced for metallic paints. Long before everyone went to 2-pack Urethanes, and I think there are newer systems since then.

Duco was a nitrocellulose laquer, with Dulon being an acrylic-

lacquer refers to other polymers dissolved in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), such as nitrocellulose, and later acrylic compounds dissolved in lacquer thinner, a mixture of several solvents typically containing butyl acetate and xylene or toluene.

Great solvents! These kids sniffing petrol know nothing!

Ah- more Wiki-

Duco was a trade name assigned to a product line of automotive lacquer developed by the DuPont Company in the 1920s. Under the Duco brand, DuPont introduced the first quick drying multi-color line of nitrocellulose lacquers made especially for the automotive industry.

We would progressively thin the top coat over successive coats to get a better shine, and mix clear laquer in with the colour on the last couple of coats to give it some depth.

Probably the reality is summed up here-

Acrylic laquer is the easiest paint for DIY but the most work by far to apply to a good standard..... The main drawback is it's doesn't last for ***** and everything stains it. I've probably painted 10cars over the last 20years with Dulon (quality acrylic laquer). Last car I painted I managed to find a cheap air fed mask so painted it with PPG cobra base coat, and authone high solids clear................. Absolutely brilliant :dance: Never again would I bother using anything other than a quality urethane.

This is the last car i did in acrylic laquer ... being .... gee's it would have to be 8years ago... the paint if well and trully stuffed now (it doesn't last unless the car lives under a cover in a dark shed).

Using urethane is difficult but the results are better and last much longer. Nice idea, but the rally car gets sprayed in brushing enamel with turps thinner!