Ke25 Coilover Mods Shocks And Coilover Sleeve Kit Install

tipsi

Hi Guys,

Currently carrying out a coil over mod on the front of my ke25, using the otomoto coilover sleeve kit and k-mac castor/camber plates.

What shock inserts have people been using with this sort of a setup in the front end of the ke2/25?

Do ae92 shock inserts work?

Thanks guys

Members dont see this ad

I spoke to literally 25 suppliers about those mr2 shocks.. No-one had them or could get them.

Ordered them from Tokico and they turned up being to suit 52mm strut..

Ended up getting mk1 gti golf shocks, Easily and readily available, even from eBay. Search overseas on ebay and you'll find like 1"/ 2" and 3" lowered ones. I use the 3" lowered shocks in my ke10 which is like 6/7" shorter than stock shock

DIY coilovers are an absolute headache, some people even build multiple sets before it all works out.

Check out AE86 damper insert options, just google it and there's a few lists that may help you out.

Edited by styler

DIY coilovers are an absolute headache, some people even build multiple sets before it all works out.

Check out AE86 damper insert options, just google it and there's a few lists that may help you out.

Only if you do it wrong the first time ;)

HOT DAMN that is a sweet car.

I don't see how you can get them wrong.. Tack weld the sleeve and test it in the car.. If it's wrong height re-adjust and weld it|

If the shock is wrong length and won't be captive put it on the lathe and shorten the shaft and re-nurl the top. I took a pair to a engineer here and he charged me $25 to do both..

Ae86 damper options won't work if he's intending to use standard struts..

The other option you have is switching to ae86 coilovers. You can buy many different types off the shelf.

Brand new you can get BC ae86 front coilovers without cambertops for $600 delivered! These are 32 way damper adjustable and base height adjustable so you can retain spring pre-load

If you do that you'll need to use ae86 balljoints, steering-arms and brakes though..

EDIT - I've never looked at those drag front runners before in person so i have no ideas what mods you'd need to do to run them on corolla struts etc or what brakes

Edited by Jono.C

Its just like a caravan wheel Jono, but my wheel has been machined to suit certain size bearing etc, so if the ae86 spindles are a different size (thickness) or width (where the inner and outer) hub bearing sit then they wont work.

yeah i would just stick with the ones you have.

Surely you can get various brands of the mk1 VW shock to suit your current spindles.

when i made my coilovers i machined up a sort of an adaptor as the shock i used had a slightly different top than the original corolla shock (note these were ae86 shock tubes with sw20 mr2 shocks i think). It was just to make the gland nut fit nice and snug around the shock absorber.

I don't know much about drag racing, so i'm not sure how much suspension rebound you want on the front wheels. But basically where you cut the shock tube will dictate where the shock sits at static height (and how much compression/bump length you have), and if you decide you need to sit the shock a bit higher you will need a spacer on the bottom (i used a bit of brass machined up as my spacer).

Edited by ke70dave

From memory they are the same just ae86 is a bit longer..

A friend in Tas bought the ae86 kit for his ke70 and couldn't find any spinter hubs so he had the spindles machined to kit standard KE hubs, They only shortened the end from memory..

But yeah Golf shocks are awesome, Many different ones around and many different heights. They were oil from factory though i'm pretty sure so make sure it's a gas one when you purchase (If you want gas shocks)

Edited by Jono.C

Jono are the ae86 coil overs longer or shorter in overall length do you know to a standard ke20-25 strut/shock ?

sorry I mean the actual length from top to bottom not the spindle itself.

Edited by tipsi

It depends.. They can be long or shorter.. They're base adjustable, Can be standard height or can be real low..

See the threads the whole way up? Mine wind up so there's 1" gap between the locking collars of the bottom and the spring collars.. I have roughly 6-7" adjustment from that alone

bcbrae86spindle.jpg

Unlike a sleeve kit the bottom part where the spindle is spins up and down to shorten or raise the ride height instead

Edited by Jono.C