Making A Ke20 With 2 Way Lsd Turn Corners.

crunk81us

Anyone have experience with making a ke20, or any car really.. with tight 2 way lsd turn corners.

Problems turning in and understeer.

I run in street sprints.. toyo proxes888 tyres.. LOVE my new lsd other than the above.

I can lift off the throttle to get it to turn in better, but there are corners i could take better if i could reduce the understeer.

Current thoughts are camber, toe out and maybe rca for low springs.

Members dont see this ad

A weaker or no front sway if you have one. The weight transfer onto the outside tyre forces it down onto the ground for more grip.

A stiffer rear sway, or fit one if you don't have one. That will help lift the inner rear wheel so it stops understeering, and you rely on the diff to give it drive.

More front camber, so when it rolls onto the outside tyre the tread is flat on the ground.

Camber will wear the inner edge of those nice RE888s, and toe-out will wear the inside edge even faster. Toe-out will make it very darty and it will change direction qucker, but it will feel less stable at high speeds.

How about swapping for a 1.5 or a one-way. They turn in much better as they disengage on over-run, then pregressively lock up as you accelerate.

I was running a locker on my KE20 and I had most of the above. Std front roll bar, modded cross member for camber, softer rear springs to allow the back to roll and squat and running toe out.

Seemed to corner ok - but spent most of my time on dirt :)

ah- also forgot to mention left foot braking..

If you left-foot brake deep into the corner you can modulate the pressure to hold weight down on the nose while turning. So you brake hard to get the speed you want but don't lift your foot right off while you turn until you start to accelerate.

Even on fast corners where you don't need to brake & change down, just leaning on the brakes a little with your left foot will stabilise the car. You don't need to lift off the power.

Another skill that is not promoted by the Govt mainstream but it is worth learning.

Ok so camber, castor, A swaybar on the back (yes why didnt i think of that?)

left foot braking.. I will give that a try.

Thanks guys.

As it is now it would be amazing on dirt, just flick it sideways with a compression lock, and steer with right foot..

and i would do that if it didnt flick rocks at my pretty pretty paint lol

I run a 2way in a ke20 and have none of these problems maybe yours is tighter than mine, can the torque setting be adjusted on your LSD?

yes it can be set differently, But i do love the predictability of a pretty much locked diff. If i can't tune it out with other mods I will look at getting it reset.

what tyres are you on?

yes it can be set differently, But i do love the predictability of a pretty much locked diff. If i can't tune it out with other mods I will look at getting it reset.

what tyres are you on?

I'd see if you can change the setting a little milder less aggressive setting it won't mean it will lock up less just more progressive.

Tyres I'm running Advan AD05/AD06 & rear Falken Zeix ZE 912 both 175 60 R13

Work out the fastest speed you ever get to in a street sprint and then work back through engine revs & whichever gear is 1:1... so you hit that top speed at max revs in (usually) 4th gear with a 'whatever' diff ratio.

I'd expect a 4.8 The lower the gear ratio the faster you'll accelerate. Do it like this-

185/60X13 RE88 has a circumference of 1.735M, so in a Km it turns 1000/1.735=576times

At 160kph it will turn 160*576/60=1535rpm

The motor is hauling 7000rpm through a one to one gear, so the diff ratio you need is 7000/1535=4.6

If your tyres are bigger then you need a lower diff. We use a 4.8 in the rally car, with 14" tyres, as its all acceleration and hopefully no long stretches at 6800 in 5th!!