Fuel Tank Repair Kit - Anyone Used One?

ke70dave

Discovered a hole in wifes AE112 corolla fuel tank today, its on a crease in the tank in an easy to get to place, seems like an odd place, tiny tiny hole, can't really see the hole, but petrol sure seeps out when you wipe it clean with a rag.

Emptied out the fuel this arvo in anticipation for removing the tank, but my mate mentioned this:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/professional-repair-systems/permatex-fuel-tank-repair-kit-detail

about $30 at supercheap.

Anyone used one?

Seems fairly reasonable.

Members dont see this ad

We used the epoxy putty on the rally car tank at a braized joint that was weeping fuel. It didn't adhere as well as I expected, the fuel would leak out under it until I realised the system wasn't venting through the new-style cap on it. Once I drilled out the one-way valve in the cap it was OK, the problem was pressure build-up as the temperature rose during the day.

CRC used to make a treacle-thick epoxy in a kit with a patch of fibregalss cloth, that used to work better.

yeah the permatex one apparnetly has a fibreglass cloth in it.

I'll go grab one of those permatex kits this morning and have a go.

Worst part is I litterllay just filled up my other car when i discovered the leak, so i had to get rid of 20L of petrol and i only have a 5L jerry can! Luckily mate was in the area and he scored some free fuel....

Well i thought id close this one out, as everyone loves some photos.

Pretty good success, the stuff took longer to mix up and way longer to harden than the packet suggested, i suspect cause it was quite cold in my garage.

I left it from about 9am till 5pm, and it was still a bit tacky.

Here is the area after some sanding and cleaning with the alcohol wipe. See the hole? yeah me neither, its sort of right on the crease, i couldn't see it even after i sanded it.

post-2532-0-29744400-1406536194_thumb.jpg

Here is me getting enthusiastic with the putty, i sort of maybe put it all on.....i squished it out much more than this after photo was taken.

post-2532-0-83843900-1406536535_thumb.jpg

and here is the final product, what a freakin mess. (no photos between as i was working fast and that black crap gets on your hands and is like tar!

Not the easiest applying fibreglass upside down.

post-2532-0-31369600-1406536636_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...