Need Help To Make A Ke20 Look Good :)

ISHARA

Hi Guys,

Let me start by saying that I'm new to the club :wave:

I am in serious need of restoring a KE20. Got some issues to clear before starting the task. Consider this a car which has not undergo any engine conversion so still the original engine is there.

Is it possible to add power steering to this car without any issue? Because most of my friends keep telling me if I do it, it will add much extra weight to the car making it difficult for the engine to drag. :((

What is the average fuel consumption of this car?

Also are there KE20 lights (maybe Chinese or Taiwanese) to buy in the market or maybe to order online from somewhere?

Help is appreciated :y:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by ISHARA

Members dont see this ad

I can't see that power steering would add anything good to the car, the actual steering box and geometry remains the same. Sure, it would be easier to turn, but they are easy enough just as they are.

You will have to fit the power steering actuator to the steering arms, which adds weight, the hoses to the pump, the pump itself, which not only adds weight but adds drag to the motor, a fanbelt system to drive the pump, and sometimes cars run a coolant system for the oil. With all that you still need to add a reservoir for the oil.

Power steering sucks enough power out of the motor to stall a 2L SR20 Nissan engine if I turn sharply into a driveway while the engine is dropping to idle in my wife's Pulsar.

I don't know if the KE20 was ever produced with power steering, probably not, so you will have to modify the whole system off some similar car. Most cars from 1980 have rack and pinion steering, so their gear won't fit.

I can't say what the average fuel consumption is on them, but I'm sure you should get under 7L/100km on a trip and under 8l/100km around town. That's what I'm getting from my 4K.

You can do a lot to that little motor if you want, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get parts like twin carbs, a cam grind and extractors in Sri Lanka. The first thing to look for would be a 4K or a 5K motor for sale, even if you buy it and put it aside until you're ready to modify everything. You can use your 3K head on the 4K block to good advantage in increasing the compression, and also on the shallow-dish piston 5K motor.

• Upvote 1

I can't see that power steering would add....................................................................

Thanks a lot for the reply. Seems it will be better to cut off power steering from the list :yes:

As you mentioned those are kind of a hard to come by here in Sri Lanka.

Any clue where I can find KE20 lights and dash parts online? :hmm:

Thanks again :thumbsup: