Panhard, Anti Roll And More On Ke

tercellen

Okay, so I have done a 3t-c conversion in my ke35. Still got the stock ke diff. In the future I want to change the diff to the TA60 diff (where the donator engine came from). I want to improve the handling by using the bars that the diff already got installed, but how would it affect my leaf springs? The panhard and the anti roll bar should be fine, but what about the other four bars? Are they anti tramp? Useable?

Another question that bothers me is if I should go with a stiff drive shaft like the ke one, or if I want the divided shaft with the mounted bearing like it was on the ta. What differents those that make? Right now I'm using the stiff one.

post-16361-0-84182300-1408880864_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Have a google at "4 link" suspension and you'll see the issue. The ta60 is 4 link, whats known as "live axle" as opposed to your car which is Leaf spring.. There is a big difference.

That diff will not bolt in as is, The logical thing to do would be to weld the ke35 leaf mounts onto the ta60 diff and bolt it in

Its much harder to convert the ke35 to 4 link and would be quite costly unless you are a fabricator and can do it yourself

Jono is right, it is easist to put leaf springs on the Celica diff.

You could keep the lower arms as anti-tramp rods, but they will need to pivot on the same distance forward as the leaves do. They have to move in the same arc as the diff goes up and down, while the rear of the leaf is flexible in length on its swinging rear coupling. Probably the stock 5-link mounts on the diff will interfere with the leaf mounts, so the two bars will have to have their mounts moved over.

The panhard could be used too, but there is a large mount to make for it on the chassis.

To mount the top arms you will probably have to change the floor, so if you're in for making floor pan changes then use all the five link arms on the TA60 diff. A lot of work and no chance of rego I expect.

The one-piece driveshaft will be OK, its not that long, but making sure it is balanced correctly is the trick. Mine still vibrates around 60kph and really annoys me, so I'll have to find another engineer to re-do it..

Great response guys! I never mentioned to get rid of my leaves thou, I'm only interested in the bars I could use with my leaf springs still on the car. If I understand it right, to use the outer bars as anti tramp they have to be fitted at the same length from the diff as the leaf springs mounting? About the anti roll bar, do you see any problems? Or is it basically just to weld in the mountings on a good place?

If I understand it right, to use the outer bars as anti tramp they have to be fitted at the same length from the diff as the leaf springs mounting?

Yep-

About the anti roll bar, do you see any problems? Or is it basically just to weld in the mountings on a good place?

Yep again- try and tuck them against a chassis rail on the body, they do get stressed and will crack on a stock mount if you drive hard enough.

And mine isn't even balanced yet

I took it back and the gingerbeer checked it, and even showed me it on the balancer. I wonder if its eccentric even if in balance, but I'm changing the diff head to a 4.1 right now so I'll see what its like afterwards.