Ke70 Good First Car?

dunh

Members dont see this ad

Great choice.

Widely regarded as one of the most reliable passenger cars EVER built in the history of motoring. Great to learn how to work on cars, cheap & easy parts availability and plenty of help available on here.

Light & fun to drive, with pretty good motivation from the stock 4K motor and plenty of options for making it go faster if that's your thing.

Check out the Dog & Lemon guide - last time I checked they only gave two cars an overall smiley face for reliability - both Corolla's (KE series and 4AFE / 7AFE powered AE series).

• Upvote 1

I'd like to point out, you're asking a bunch of Corolla fans, so there may be bias!

I'd say, it depends. We're talking about cars that are getting toward 30 years old, so it's really going to depend on how well the car has been maintained. You can guarantee that if it has original suspension etc. then that will all be shot by now. The motors and drive line is generally bullet proof and will last many k's with fairly minimal maintenance, but that doesn't mean it isn't shot. Also, they do rust.

They are obviously also lacking many safety features, ABS, airbags, crumple zones etc etc. This makes them very simple cars.

If you want something that you don't mind putting a bit of work into, and you want to learn more about, then they are a brilliant first choice. They are basic, don't require special tools generally and are very easy to work on. If you don't want to take much of an interest in the condition of the car when you buy it, and just want to drive it with all the creature comforts, I'd go for something newer (probably still a corolla ;) ).

They're becoming an enthusiast car, if they aren't already, but for very good reason!

• Upvote 1

Nah- get an Exel, dirt cheap and cheerful, reliable, millions around as first cars and they even have their own rally class!

Unless you want a RWD, in which case there is no option to a Corolla! A BMW is far too costly as a first car (either buying or maintaining) and the rest of the RWDs are impractical sports 2-seaters like RX7s and Nissan Sylvias. I remembered why I love them this morning when it was just drizzling with rain and I had traffic islands to drive around....

Just try not to crash it... we will run out of KE70s one day and they aren't as survivable as newer cars.

• Upvote 1

Good choice.

Just don't paint it flat black, multicolour the interior on it, and put a trueno bar on it and attempt to sell it for $4000. Its worth more original. Enjoy it, if you modify it, make the mods things that actually help, like a strut upgrade, or some better shockys, or even a manual conversion as opposed to going to supercheap and getting all custom with the rattle cans and decals.

Good car for an Enthusiast, good car for learning, easy car to fix, yes!

Just remember It is 30yrs old, so expect repairs, and on most engines you have to expect major. even if the car has "only" done 200,000 it is still 30yrs old. So oil seals and what not are all starting to die.

I would never recommend one to a non enthusiast as they are just too old to be reliable with minimal servicing.

You really have to be onto ever small issue as it comes up in order to keep it reliable. But that is half the fun:)