Ae82 Weak Blower

DrBoomtown

Hey guys, i recently got my hands on an AE82 twincam :) and I'm trying to get it back on the road.

so, the blower felt really weak. on max speed it felt like a dead fish trying to blow out a candle through a limp straw. it will spin on all 4 speeds, but next to nothing comes out of the vents.

my first thought was just to replace the bugger but I'm having trouble finding one from a wreckers and a brand new one is getting close to $400 everywhere i have looked :glare:

anybody got an ideas where i could find a working replacement or even what i could do to fix up the one i have? thanks.

Members dont see this ad

It could just be blocked with crap. Does the fan sound like its increasing in speed? Or does it sound the same at all settings?

If

it surprisingly looks pretty damn clean, a little dusty but nothing gunking it up. iv completly pulled it apart including the motor ( hope i put it back together right ) in hopes i would find something caught in something, but nope everything looks clear.

it definetly sounds and looks like its increasing the speed on higher speed settings

• 4 months later...

You might be able to rewire it, depending on how handy your are. There are various guides on the internet, and it is the same theory behind increasing alternator capacity.

I did it to the blower motor in the 36 - and so very glad i did. You can buy the wire from Jaycar for not very much (~$20)