Ke70 Standard Rear Axle

Jelterkun

Hello rollaclub

I have a question about my 4age 16v conversion.

Will a standard KE70 rear axle be enough to handle the abuse of a stock 4age 16v with minor mods?

Or do i have to search for a ae86 rear axle?

Because in my country they are really rare and super expensive.

I'm not planning to use my car for drifting or racing. It will be just a street car.

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Just launch it like a white man and it will be fine. The maximum power going through it when driving isn't the problem, its getting the mass of the car moving at the start that really hammers transmissions. Close to that would be violent gear changes from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, I've seen people bang the clutch back out at peak revs and the shock loading would be horrific. Just get the clutch right out each time before you really nail it.

The BorgWarner is a pretty terrible diff, so you can expect the bearings to whine if they don't already.

Just launch it like a white man and it will be fine. The maximum power going through it when driving isn't the problem, its getting the mass of the car moving at the start that really hammers transmissions. Close to that would be violent gear changes from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, I've seen people bang the clutch back out at peak revs and the shock loading would be horrific. Just get the clutch right out each time before you really nail it.

The BorgWarner is a pretty terrible diff, so you can expect the bearings to whine if they don't already.

Beat me to it altezzaclub!!

For the three years I had the blown setup in mine, with 100+rwkw and a metric f/ton of torque(way more of both than a mild modded 4age would make) the borgy diff and k50 never complained. The ke-11 is a heap lighter than the ke-70 so that probably helped.

Well, you could upgrade them but you'd never feel the difference as the rear bias limiter would cut the pressure off at the same level it does now.

The rears do about 20% of the braking, its the fronts that do all the work. We use bigger rears on the rally car and take the limiter out, and you can feel the tail squat down when you bias it to the back. That still doesn't give much braking compared to the front, but on gravel the fronts just lock so you need the balance.

You shouldn't need to touch the brakes. The national speed limit is 100kph, which you do with a 4K and the car doesn't weigh any more with a 4AGE compared to 5 passengers and luggage. So stock brakes are fine.

You can do over 100kph if you like, but stock brakes are good up to a 4K max speed, which I assume is about 160kph. So really you'll have to do more than 160kph before you move out of the stock setup's limits. I don't think any engineer should be arguing for you to modify brakes so can drive at over 160kph...

So long as the brakes lock up at the front you have all the braking you can ever use. Bigger brakes will just lock the tyres up faster. However if you ever put it on the track I'm sure you'll find they fade far too fast, 4K or 4AGE!