Enthusiast Insurance

parrot

Been quoted $630 to insure a modified AE86 at $8000 agreed value plus salvage rights by a well known insurer of such things. This with my stating it will be on a 45 day club reg permit.

That works out at $14 per trip, with every likelihood it will do less than 45 days a year.

Is it just me, or is that a little pricey? Interested to know what others are paying for similar situations.

Note, I'm a rating 1, no finance, locked in a garage and close to 50 years old.......

Members dont see this ad

Mine is insured for $520 per year as a second car, which they define as driven approx 2 days a week.

Club rego doesnt help that price really as my brothers car is on club, and has the same approx 2 days per week on it.

Agreed value does not seem to change the premium either we have found.

Lock up garage? good nieghbourhood? they are the other 2 factors i guess.

I was quoted $1342 full comprehensive with salvage with an agreed value of $6000. I have a clean driving record with zero at fault claims. Fully locked up garage and as a car not driven daily (2-5 trips weekly), no finance also.

Although I'm very young (and still building rating), I'm responsible as hell on the roads which I understand doesn't change a thing.

I'm going to pay my cars worth in insurance in a short few years.

Your quote is still too high in opinion, mine is just absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by B-Lugg

Shannons is generally a pretty expensive insurer. I had NRMA tell me my work truck had dropped 2500 in value that they would pay out, and they still wanted to increase my premium to $1100 a year from $890 and the only reason they could give for wanting more money for less insurance is that the model of car is repaired or payed out on frequently. I dropped em like a hot rock, and moved everythng to suncorp, and insured the Celica and the Truck for under $1000 with full comp and agreed values of $12000 and $4600 respectively.

Shop around! Try a broker even, sometimes they can forge you a policy from thin air.

Yep it's worth shopping around. My missus R34 skyrine got quoted at $1200 through Shannon, it has a list of bolt on mods but has no mod plates required. Went through suncorp for under half that price. The problem comes when you have mod plates, I attempted to insure the Pajero through suncorp, it has engine trans mod plate, they wouldn't touch it. It's through Shannons.

Yes through Shannon's. I only got salvage rights due to having owned the car so long (early 90's).

It would be fair to say I live in one of Melbourne's "blue ribbon" suburbs, so the postcode shouldn't really be contributing I wouldn't think.

They are due to call me soon so perhaps I can query the extreme limited use thing.

I also got them to quote me for laid up cover on the KE15 plus routine insurance on my daily which was additional cost (quite reasonable)

years back I had a good relationship with Torque Insurance on the AE86. I might try them, if they still exist.

They called today. Got the spiel, and told I get 365 days per year theft cover whilst it is sitting in the shed, which I think I knew.

Seriously though, the premiums are out of all proportion for what will be a rarely driven car. I don't expect it to be free, but also I don't expect it to be that much. Our other current model daily driver cars are worth 5 - 6 times the value of the AE86, driven daily and the premium is roughly the same.

I see Torque are part of Lumley's now, along with Swann etc. so will see what they have to say