Lowering My Ke55! Help!!

My Mustard Ke55

Members dont see this ad

Cheap way is lowering blocks in the rear and lowering springs in the front, should get you close to 2" lower.

More expensive and a better option is resetting the rear leaf springs.

Then theres upgrading the front struts entirely to coilovers.

It all depends on your budget. You could do blocks and springs for a few hundred (possibly way, way less) if you shop around.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB

Cheap way is lowering blocks in the rear and lowering springs in the front, should get you close to 2" lower.

More expensive and a better option is resetting the rear leaf springs.

Then theres upgrading the front struts entirely to coilovers.

It all depends on your budget. You could do blocks and springs for a few hundred (possibly way, way less) if you shop around.

one question, what do you mean resetting the leaf springs? ( I'm half way through my mechanics course, not an expert )

thanks

They pull the leaves apart, heat them up and/or flatten them a bit in a press, put them back together and paint them black.

Nontheless - and I expect to get flamed for saying it - I think that car is sitting perfectly.

any idea how much that would cost?

its sits ok.. but i would like it a little lower :)

Prices will vary but it will be cheaper if you pull them out yourself and deliver them to your local spring-maker.

Around $200 I reckon but it's been a while since I was hanging out with spring-makers. It can depend on if you're polite and they like the look of you!

You won't get much lower by resetting because Corolla springs are already fairly flat.

Some guys take it upon themselves to pull the pack apart and invert a leaf for more lows, but then your spring is working upside-down which ruins your handling and makes your car a shitbox.

Lowering blocks are certainly the cheaper option and maintain spring/shocker geometry but the constabulary don't like them.

Worth noting that fitting 15" wheels brings the top of the rim 1" closer to the body. I'm not a fan of lowered cars.

Advice. don't try to reset springs yourself.

We pulled apart the leaf pack on one of my Corollas and used the old mans press to flatten the main leaf by approx 2 inches (50mm for those who don't speak real measurments :P ). The packs went back together ok, but as soon as the weight of the car went on them, the arch sorta inverted. ended up sitting about 15-20mm off the bump stops, which were later cut in half. Tucked a 225/60R13 up inside the rear guards.

Looking back, honestly it rode like crap, but it looked good and its the only car I have owned that I could wash the whole roof from one side of the car.

Edited by coln72
  • Upvote 1

Some guys take it upon themselves to pull the pack apart and invert a leaf for more lows, but then your spring is working upside-down which ruins your handling and makes your car a shitbox.

I'll put my hand up! We took the spring pack apart and cut one leaf shorter, then fitted it upside down. I can't remember which leaf it was, I think we had a spare set of leafs from another car to play with.

You can see we fitted it to the top, and upside down so it pre-loaded the other leafs and flattened the set.

It also softened the spring overall as the pack lacked that leaf doing its normal holding-up work.

It also acted as an anti-tramp bar by stopping the spring from winding up under acceleration, which is why we did it in the first place!

Sadly, soonish afterwrds Rob decided that khanacross shell was too rusty, bought another KE55 and hasn't got it finished yet for us to do more experiments.

post-7544-0-91560700-1411550544_thumb.jpg

so are you saying this was a good idea or a waste of time? :)

I'll put my hand up! We took the spring pack apart and cut one leaf shorter, then fitted it upside down. I can't remember which leaf it was, I think we had a spare set of leafs from another car to play with.

You can see we fitted it to the top, and upside down so it pre-loaded the other leafs and flattened the set.

It also softened the spring overall as the pack lacked that leaf doing its normal holding-up work.

It also acted as an anti-tramp bar by stopping the spring from winding up under acceleration, which is why we did it in the first place!

Sadly, soonish afterwrds Rob decided that khanacross shell was too rusty, bought another KE55 and hasn't got it finished yet for us to do more experiments.