Nissan X-Trail T31 Series

parrot

So old faithful Renault is slowly dying and I have decided to get a T31 series 2008 onward Nissan X-Trail. 6 speed manual (not CVT), petrol 4WD on demand.

Anyone have any feedback on these? I can't find anything searching around, other than CVT concerns which aren't relevant, and potential frames cracking around towbar mounts which isn't necessarily a x-trail specific thing.

Members dont see this ad

I have a T31 turbo diesel 5 speed auto. They have some problems with oil in the intake, (installed a oil catch can to fix) and Dpf blocking up ( had it removed and remapped ecu) . The diesel been good more torque than the petrol.

Ive only heard of clutches in the manuals failing but I guess it depends on how you drive it!

Thanks Rod. Yes I saw something about clutches but it's fair to say I am pretty easy on them over many years. The only issues really seem to those you mentioned, and CVT problems in the pre T31's. Driving my wife's Auto Subaru has reminded me of how much I hate auto's, so it's manuals for me.

Not any serious 4WD Dave, more weekend fishing and camping stuff. Plus I like the idea of being able to put it in auto mode when appropriate. The Renault also has the 4WD on front wheel slip and it is pretty good in general driving.

We've just picked up a T30 to lug the family, and maybe tow the Corolla if necessary. Even the manual is so unexciting to drive! When I first started driving it, it was depressing, but then I reminded myself that it's a tow car and it's not a fun car :)

There's a decent looking forum of X Trail nuts, if you haven't found it already:

baustralianxtrail.runboard.com

I haven't used it too much yet.

I think they're a pretty good thing generally. I'm not so sure about T31 info, as I was focussed on the T30. I get the idea with the T30 at least, the dual mass flywheel is a pain. I'm guessing (but don't know) that the T31 probably has dual mass too. There are replacement kits available which take it back to single mass, they're about $600. I believe the dual mass flywheels are designed to be replaced rather than machined and that's about $2K in parts. Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but worth knowing about, especially at inspection.

They're pretty common cars though, so parts availability and price seems pretty good. There always seems to be ones at auction and plenty about being wrecked.

Do the usual; check recalls and get a decent inspection and I reckon you'll do well. That's what I'm trying to do :)

I've found the x-trails to be fairly reliable but have noticed a couple of minor problems,

One being they break the O2 sensor bung out of the exhaust manifold (causes exhaust leak, loss of power) .

Requires manifold removal for repair, and the cam sensors can cause engine light on issue, loss of power, not difficult to replace.

The clutches previously mentioned are quite expensive but seem to last very well in normal driving.

Generally though, not a bad thing.

• 5 years later...

Ok, if you want a real 4wd suv don't buy the Nissan X-Trail T31, the 4WD system works whenever it need to, not when you want it, the T30 X-Trail is the only one which can be going real $wd on demand, I used to have a T30 2.5L Petro 4x4 auto and used a lot of 4wd and it's awesome, the T31 just goes 4wd when it needs to, like ke70dave wrote up there, , I know this port is old, but at home i've got the T30, now I have the T31 and my dad has the T32, the best all around should be the T30, period.

I hope he's right, the missus bought one while I was away!

The colour she didn't want, (black) the Km were twice what she wanted, (220,000) it was a model older than she had me look for (T30 instead of T31)...  but she was determined to buy it from an over-priced dealer so she didn't get ripped off!😩

Sounds like there's a can half-full of stones attached to the fan when she starts it.. I don't want to know!

Yes I did.  Funny reading this now as I now wish had bought an auto.  Traffic in Melbourne has become so congested, it's become pretty tiresome working the clutch continually.  

Plus son is doing his learners so has to drive his mums car all the time, not interested in a manual licence.  Next car will definitely be an auto.

Has certainly been a good workhorse though.  Change the oil every year and that's it.  Haven't even had to do the pads and discs yet, though I'm pretty gentle on it.

Next job is a first car for son.  Pretty likely we will get a 2017 or 18 Mazda 3 I think.  He will have the fanciest car in the house.

Whaatt!!   Get him some ol' rattletrap and make him work to buy his own in a few years!  My daughter has the only new car around her, but she saved up for a few years to get it. A giant step up from a KE70. The son started with a mid-80s Pulsar and it needed a gearbox straight away. Now he really appreciates his new Fiesta. At least neither of them wrote off their first cars.

My first car in 1983 was a Datsun 1200 sedan that I loved to death but had a few close calls in. 

I really want him in the safest car I can get him in ( and fit his cricket kit in). We are going to go half each so he has some appreciation of value, and it has all the bells and whistles safety wise, plus importantly Bluetooth and screen which will hopefully keep him away from looking at his phone....

Half his mates are driving around in $60k Audi’s. Unbelievable. No chance of that in this house. Both our daily’s are 9 years old with no plans to update!