Which Wires Are Used To Start The Car(Ke70) In The Ignition Barrel??

liamke70

Members dont see this ad

Hi Liam,

Need more info. Does the starter motor turn over & crank the engine, or is the engine completely dead ?

Did this happen suddenly, or did it get harder to start over a period of time ?

Give us some more symptoms & we'll try and assist you to solve it quickly.

Cheers Banjo

thanks for your reply

the starter motor does not turn over, like its not getting power

i did notice the barrel was getting stiffer/harder to turn, then the other day when it wouldn't start, the barrel felt really loose and was moving really freely. it feels like something just snapped in the barrel

i tried jump starting it to check if it was the battery but still nothing

Tthank you

Go buy a $10 multimeter from Supercrap.

The white wire going into the ignition lock is carrying power into there, if the ignition lights work then the power gets that far and the "ignition" (not 'start') part of the key is working.

The black/white wire to the solenoid should be live, so unplug it off the starter motor and test that. You'll need to have someone holding the key on 'Start'.

If power is getting to the solenoid but the starter isn't working, pull the starter out and test it on the bench. If power is not getting down that black wire then your suspicion is correct and the key lock is not connecting internally. It pulls apart easily enough to inspect the contacts.

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer an auto, there is a shift lock switch in there too, making sure you can't start it in drive. That might be faulty.

post-7544-0-97773800-1414190366_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Digging up an old thread.

I have a starter motor solenoid power issue.

*History is, this is KE70 cabin and engine bay looms installed into an AE71 (old AE71 loom was hacked to buggery so swapped it out) instrument panel and both driver and passenger kick panel circuit boxes where swapped out also, so basically all of it from a KE70, nothing from the AE71 was kept.

I have power at the black/white wire on the ignition barrel when key is at start position, but nothing at the starter.

Starter fuse in engine bay fuse box is not blown.

I removed the instrument panel and traced the black/white from the barrel to behind the dash as far as I could see it, up until the point where it disappears heading to the passenger side. It also has power with key at start position.

I then went to the passenger side kick panel and found the black/white wire in the big green plug and tested it, but there is no power to it with key at start position?

Somewhere in-between the wire is cut....I really don't want to pull the whole dash out again just to check where the Black/White wire

My question is, based of the diagram above can I cut the Black/White wire at the key barrel, solder in a new wire, run that to a relay and then power the starter solenoid that way with out disturbing any thing else.

I have a 4AGE with Cop conversion with aftermarket ECU, so the Black/White coil wire is redundant,

Does this have the potential to cause issue to any other circuit, or should it be ok?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by 86Ali
spelling

Thanks for the info Banjo!

I found it, It was my error.

When I fitted the loom in somehow I have accidentally stretched the Black/White ignition wire, up behind the dash/air vent area, to the point where it had actually broken.

I just soldiered a piece in and its all good now.

No other wires where damaged.

Edited by 86Ali